The outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic and adoption of surgical masks by the general population is anticipated to boost the surgical mask market during the forecast period 2020-2025. Surgical Mask Market size is forecast to reach $66.70 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 5.76% during the forecast period 2020-2025.
The surgical mask market is growing at a significant rate owing to the outbreak of the COVID -19 across the globe that has led to individuals and healthcare professionals extensively using the protective gear to stay safe. The demand for surgical mask is expected to rise even after the COVID-19 pandemic as individuals are more conscious about their health and wellbeing.
The market for surgical mask has seen a major YOY (Year on Year) growth in 2020 when compared with 2019 owing to the outbreak of COVID-19.The impact of COVID-19 has resulted in shortage of surgical masks and increase in the production of masks by the key companies present in the market. Many big players like LMVH and Nike have also started the production of surgical masks. The small players that are present in the market have also increased their production facilities to meet the demand of the market. An increase in focus toward preventing hospital-acquired infections (HAIs), and improvement in healthcare infrastructure & services has added advantage for the surgical mask market.
APAC holds a major share of surgical masks market owing to an increase in number of geriatric population, increase in adoption of surgical mask in the general population, and surge in prevalence of contagious and chronic disease. Among the countries, Japan held the largest market share in the Asia-Pacific surgical masks market in 2019 and is projected to witness a significant CAGR during the same period followed by the China, India, South Korea, Australia & New Zealand, and others. Furthermore, the presence of emerging countries like China and India with a large consumer base is also contributing for the growth of this market in the Asia-Pacific region. China is the world’s largest producer of surgery masks and they have decades of experience in it. In China, the surgical mask is defined by YY 0469 standard and is approved by the government of China. According to the South China Morning report, due to COVID-19 pandemic, in the beginning of 2020 to April, almost 38,000 new companies in China have registered to make or trade face masks in China.
Talk to one of our sales representative about the full report by providing your details in the link below:
Surgical Mask Market Growth Drivers:
- Outbreak of Pandemic (COVID-19):
According to WHO, currently, more than 4.2 million people worldwide are infected with Corona. This infection leads to multiple organ failure, acute & severe respiratory disorders, pneumonia, and even death in severe cases. In the context of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak, the World Health Organization recommends the use of masks in home and health care settings. This in turn increases demand for surgical marks. Need for surgical masks is rising with the increasing number of cases and deaths caused worldwide. The increasing incidence of corona has increased the need for surgical masks.
Government authorities in the developed economies such as Japan, are increasingly concerned over the health and safety of the frontline medical workers due to outbreak of COVID-19 in the country that drives the demand for protective equipment's like surgical masks, surgical gloves, face shields and others. Numerous government regulations and standards compel the end-use industries, majorly medical/healthcare industry to provide protective equipment's like mask to the medical staff who are performing surgeries and treating the people affected from viruses like COVID-19 also propels the market growth.
Rapid developments in Nonwovens Production Technology:
- Innovations in nanotechnology and its increased use in medical nonwoven disposables production are poised to create lucrative opportunities for market expansion shortly. For instance, in March 2020, the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) research team announced the development a recyclable face mask that can fit inside standard surgical masks, which are less scarce. This reusable masks will help the general population across the globe to grapple with the shortage of face masks due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Product Expansion, Acquisitions and Geographic Expansion by various key players present in the surgical mask market:
- In April 2020, 3M India raised the production of respirators, hand sanitizers and surgical masks in the country in the range of 35-40%. To improve the supply of these essential accessories in the country, 3M India has increased the production of these at its manufacturing facility in Ranjangaon, off Pune.
- In April 2020, Prestige Ameritech collaborated with National Guard military to increase the production of personal protective equipment or PPEs.
- In January 2020, Medline Industries, Inc., acquired Medi-Select, a Quebec City based medical and dental supplies distributor. This acquisition enabled Medline to extend their footprint in Quebec.
- In September 2019, Medline Industries, Inc., announced to open a new 1.2 million square foot distribution center in Mebane, North Carolina. The aim of Medline is to expand its footprint in the Southeast.
The Major Players in this Market Include
The major companies in the surgical mask market include 3M Company, Ansell Ltd, Cardinal Health Inc., Prestige Ameritech, Mölnlycke Health Care AB, Medline Industries, Inc., Halyard Health (Owens & Minor, Inc.), Dynarex Corporation, Dukal Corporation, AMD Medicom Inc. and others. In 2019, AMD Medicom Inc., acquired Hedy Canada Inc., a leading provider of infection control and disposable products. . The acquisition allows Medicom to expand and solidify their position in personal protective equipment (PPE) product segments across North America.
Over the years, surgical mask companies have mainly focused on production of better safety surgical masks and have been investing in developing various technologies to provide better solutions for preventing cross contamination of infections. Governments and non-profit organizations around the world are investing money and organizing requirements to promote the production and the development of surgical masks. The increase in the occurrence of epidemics is estimated to fuel the growth of the surgical masks market over the forecast period 2020-2025.
To request for a quote, provide your details in the below link:
Mr. Venkat Reddy
Email: [email protected]
Contact Sales: +1-614-588-8538 (Ext-101)
About IndustryARC: IndustryARC is a Research and Consulting Firm that publishes more than 500 reports annually, in various industries such as Agriculture, Automotive, Automation & Instrumentation, Chemicals and Materials, Energy and Power, Electronics, Food and Beverages, Information Technology, and Life sciences and Healthcare.