Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market Overview
The Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market size is estimated to reach $24.8 billion by 2027. Furthermore, it is poised to grow at a CAGR of 12.3% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. Atopic dermatitis is an inflammatory disease affecting the skin and makes rashes-patches available on the neck-face and eyes in adults/children. Further, atopic eczema has become a proficient reason for ill-mental health, as children suffering from such conditions often feel left-out or distinct, thereby affecting their long-haul personality. The skin condition medications range from the use of corticosteroids to advancing biologics. The latter part, biologics, have been gaining immense market traction owing to their power to work at sub-molecular levels, without aggravating prior symptoms. It is rudimentary to know that skin barrier dysfunction forms the first reason for the development of atopic dermatitis. Moreover, serious complicating diseases such as eczema herpeticum affects people suffering from atopic dermatitis, the said condition occurs when the person encounters the herpes virus. The said rash treatment can be countered with antibiotics and other viral medications. The launch of new products within the market supplemented by the large, afflicted population pool has been recognized as the key factor driving the Atopic Dermatitis Industry forward in the projected period of 2022-2027.
The report: “Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market Forecast (2022-2027)”, by Industry ARC covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market.
By Drug Type- Corticosteroids, Calcineurin Inhibitors,
PDE4 inhibitors, Biologics, and others.
By Route of Administration- Topical and Oral.
By Distribution Channel – Offline and Online Channel.
By Geography- North America (U.S., Canada, Mexico), Europe (Germany, United Kingdom (U.K.), France, Italy, Spain, Russia, and Rest of Europe), Asia Pacific (China, Japan India, South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand, and Rest of Asia Pacific), South America (Brazil, Argentina, and Rest of South America), and Rest of the World (the Middle East, and Africa).
- Geographically, North America’s atopic dermatitis treatment market held a dominant market share in the year 2021. It is owing to the high prevalence of the said condition within the discussed geography, moreover, prevalent pharmaceutical and biotech companies are present within the region which allows for deeper market penetration. However, Asia-Pacific is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities to the marketers in the projected period of 2022-2027 owing to the rising numbers of CROs and other research organizations which are developing novel medicines and treatment procedures.
- The launch of new products within the market supplemented by the large, afflicted population pool has been recognized as the key driver for Atopic Dermatitis Market. However, product recalls, the exponential increase of hypersensitive reaction, and a close-knitted competition have impeded the market growth.
- A detailed analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats will be provided in the Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market Report.
Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market- Geography (%) for 2021.
For More Details on This Report - Request for Sample
Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market Segmentation Analysis- By Drug Type
The atopic dermatitis treatment market based on Drug Type can be further segmented into Corticosteroids, Calcineurin Inhibitors, PDE4 inhibitors, Biologics, and others. Corticosteroids held a dominant market share in the year 2021. It is owing to the wide prevalence and the first deterrent or line of defense for the treatment of the discussed condition. As per the preliminary studies, doctors recommend corticosteroid gels or ointments to start the treatment. Further, corticosteroid gels and ointment cost less, thereby making it popular in low-and middle-income countries.
However, the Biologics segment is estimated to be the fastest-growing, with a CAGR of 13.1% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. Biologics has been a growing field of study to treat cases where other lines of defense do not work such as by Corticosteroids and Calcineurin Inhibitors. Various randomized trials have been conducted; an interesting study found that the use of Baricitinib along with topical corticosteroids aided fruitful results in people suffering from moderate to severe atopic dermatitis. A randomized clinical trial of 329 adults with moderate to severe AD, as per the benchmarking, the combination treatment showed /achieved results of 31% differential (of patients receiving 4 mg of baricitinib with TCS therapy) and 24% of patients receiving 2 mg of baricitinib with TCS therapy compared with 15% receiving placebo with TCS therapy. Owing to such efficacy, the said segment would outpace the others.
Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market Segmentation Analysis- By Distribution Channel
The atopic dermatitis treatment market based on distribution channels can be further segmented into offline and online channels. Offline held a dominant market share in the year 2021. It is owing to the treatments, particularly the injectables must be purchased via hospital pharmacies. In cases of severe cases of atopic dermatitis, doctors would have to provide corticosteroids via injection, as the medicine dissolved faster and provide effects within minutes. Moreover, retailer pharmacists provide ready discounts on repeated purchases of medication, thereby retaining a major proportion of consumers.
However, online channels are estimated to be the fastest-growing, with a CAGR of 13.2% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. It is owing to the widespread availability of the internet across geographies, with an additional impetus of new med-tech companies launching applications, which allows for easy medicine delivery and treatment. Further, independent discounts provided by third-party sellers allow the market to grow deeper. For example, on the TATA-1MG platform, Antonide-H Cream having hydrocortisone is available at a 20% discount on the MRP, further, a special discount on choosing online payment gives impetus to consumers to order.
Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market Segmentation Analysis- By Geography
The Atopic Dermatitis Treatment market based on Geography can be further segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Rest of the World. North America held a dominant market share of 33% as compared to the other regions in 2021. The predominant companies are headquartered in the USA, which gives an overall edge over the other regions. Further, companies (offering treatment medicines), on average allocated 15-20% of their revenue to R&D, which allows them to provide better offerings in the highly competitive market. Moreover, the US Government spends close to $4.1 trillion for healthcare, which gives a significant impetus to private companies.
However, Asia-Pacific is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities to marketers in the projected period of 2022-2027. It is owing to the rising initiatives taken by the government to tackle the said disease by working at the top and bottom levels. Further, India saw an increment of 137% in its healthcare spending which would allow for better medical discoveries.
Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market Drivers
A large patient pool afflicted by atopic dermatitis has been a key driver for the treatment’s market.
Atopic dermatitis usually begins during childhood and often involved genetic disorders-environmental-exposure-and immune system malfunctioning. The prevalence of atopic dermatitis in the majority of the regions is significantly high. For example, an association led by National Eczema Association found that 7.3% of the adults in the US were afflicted by atopic dermatitis, and about 40% had severe or moderate symptoms. Moreover, as per independent researchers, atopic dermatitis was highly prevalent in pediatrics. In 45% of the surveyed children, symptoms appear before 6 months, while 60% of the population develop symptoms before 1 year. Only a small proportion of atopic dermatitis is found in children aged between 6-20 years. The said trends continue to be followed around the globe. For example, in India, around 20% of the children have chance to develop AD within a year of birth. The high prevalence of the said condition has been a key driver for the market.
The upliftment of biologics has been a key driver for the treatment market.
Atopic dermatitis has been a prolonged condition, for which the field of biologics has continued to find solutions with minimal side effects. Owing to such needs, dupilumab was discovered and has proved effective results in those afflicted. A recently published article from Spain with data on 70 patients treated with dupilumab showed good efficacy regarding both skin condition and pruritus. In the said study, the condition improved by 60-70% after six months of treatment. Further, the studies which took place in Berlin showed, that after three months of the said treatment-32% of patients achieved a SCORAD of 75, and 67% achieved SCORAD50. Furthermore, the affected body surface area reduced from 42.17% to 9.9%. The said reduction further allows people to start the said treatment. Lastly, dupilumab has shown now cases of skin reactions or anaphylaxis.
Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market Challenges
Product recalls the exponential increase of hypersensitive reaction, and a close knitted competition has impeded the market growth
Eczema treatments have often been recalled in the past, especially the topic mode. For example, a nationwide Class- III recall had been issued for 6763 1 Gram Novacort Gel Sample Packets. The said product contains 2% hydrocortisone acetate (a steroid), along with 1% pramoxine HCI. The reason given for the same is that the drug is sub potent, and out of specifications results for pramoxine hydrochloride were provided. Furthermore, Incyte reported cases where API issues were felt in small batches. Users lodged complaints about the texture of the cream. Moreover, Incyte says it will suspend its Opzelura sample program, but there is no product recall. Lastly, there has been increasing in cases where a topical medication led to serious ramifications, such as cases of anaphylaxis and others which has resulted in low confidence in the products.
Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Industry Outlook
Product launches, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and geographical expansions are key strategies adopted by players in the Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market. The top 10- Atopic Dermatitis Treatment Market companies are-
- LEO Pharma,
- Allergan Plc.,
- Novartis International AG,
- Bristol-Myers Squibb,
- Anacor Pharmaceutical Inc.,
- Astellas Pharma Inc.
- In February 2021, UK Medical Association approved- abrocitinib. The said medicine contains an active substance, abrocitinob. Further, the medicine is a Janus kinase inhibitor that works by reducing the inflammation and itch in atopic dermatitis. Abrocitinib is used to treat adults and adolescents 12 years of age and older with severe atopic dermatitis, also known as atopic eczema. Abrocitinib may be used with eczema medicines that you apply to the skin, or it may be used on its own.
- In September 2020, European Medicines Agency agreed to a new oral treatment for moderate to severe atopic dermatitis. Earlier, Olumiant was already approved in the European Union to treat moderate to severely active rheumatoid arthritis, a disease-causing inflammation of the joints. Further, EMA has recommended granting an extension of indication to Olumiant (baricitinib) to include the treatment of moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in adult patients who are candidates for systemic therapy.
- In May 2020, Sanofi received FDA approval for DUPIXENT- Dupilumab, as the first biologic medicine for children aged between 6-11 and who have moderate to severe atopic dermatitis. Three-quarters of patients receiving Dupixent achieved at least a 75% improvement in overall disease, with an average improvement of approximately 80%. The said medication must only start once the patient shows no improvement via topical treatments.
Report Code- CMR 0992
Report Code- HCR 98243
For more Lifesciences and Healthcare Market reports, please click here