Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market Overview
- Rise in industrialization in developing countries has been increasing the production of sludge. This, in turn, has been boosting the demand for sludge treatment chemicals for sludge treatment processes, thereby propelling the demand for sludge treatment chemicals.
- Rising environmental concerns, stringent environmental policies for waste water treatment by governments across globe are increasing need of sludge treatment processes which in turn projected to drive Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market during the forecast period.
- Increase in usage of treated sludge in agricultural processes as fertilizer is also driving the demand for sludge treatment chemicals. This is projected to augment the Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market during the forecast period.
Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market Segment Analysis - By Type
Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market Segment Analysis - By Application
Food & beverages segment held a significant share in Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market in 2019 growing at a CAGR of 5.68% during the forecast period. Sludge produced from food & beverages contain high level of BOD (Biochemical Oxygen Demand) & COD (Chemical Oxygen Demand). Sludge treatment chemicals are used in large quantities to treat wastewater, which has high BOD and COD. BOD and COD are the amount of oxygen used by microorganisms in the biological process of metabolizing organic matter in water. Greater the BOD, lower the amount of dissolved oxygen available. The personal care & chemicals segment is expected to expand at a rapid pace due to the increase in demand for sludge treatment in the segments owing to the stringent government regulations on disposal of wastewater.
The supply of water treatment chemicals shall witness shortages due to the prevalence of COVID-19 at a pandemic level. The industrial sector as a whole shall register an increase in demand for dewatering equipment, water treatment systems and membranes due to stipulated public health guidelines and greater need for sanitary environment.
Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market Segment Analysis - Geography
North America dominated the Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market with a share of more than 39%, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific. Presence of leading global manufacturers of sludge treatment chemicals in North America, stringent government regulations enacted by governments in the region, and rise in awareness about disposal of sludge are estimated to drive the Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market in the region during the forecast period. Huge number of wastewater treatment plants coupled with advanced sludge management programs such as usage of biocides in fertilizers and electricity generation among others are the key factors responsible for the growth of Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market in North America.
For instance, according to American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), in 2018, 240 million Americans i.e. 76% of the population relied on the 14,748 treatment plants for wastewater sanitation. By 2032, it is expected that 56 million more people will connect to centralized treatment plants, rather than private septic systems, which in turn creates a 23% increase in demand of Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market. China is expected to witness highest growth rate for the Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market in Asia Pacific region owing to the increase in demand of sludge treatment chemicals from various end-use industries such as oil & gas, food & beverages, and personal care & chemicals.
Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market Drivers
Increasing number of industries and sludge treatment plants at municipal level is boosting the demand in the global sludge treatment chemicals market
Sludge Treatment Chemicals Market Challenges
Merger/ Technological Innovation
- In February 2019, BASF and Solenis have completed the merger of BASF’s wet-end Paper and Water Chemicals business with Solenis. The combined company will operate under the Solenis name as a global specialty chemical company focused on paper and industrial water technologies.
- In August 2019, GN Separation received heavy orders from African clients for their Disc Centrifuge, which is used for chemical separation. It is well suited for solid as well as liquid waste. It is very economical as it facilitates continues production due to its smooth functioning. It will increase the revenue of the company as well as share in the market.
- In October 2017, CHEM. ENGI s.r.o. launched its latest technology YESfloc which can continuously deliver a very clean filtrate and sludge cake dried above 25% DSC. These are fully biodegradable and following the strict regulations for wastewater released. This launch will expand the product portfolio of the company as well as increase the goodwill of the company in the market.