3D Cell Culture Market Overview
3D Cell Culture Market size is forecast to reach $1.93 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 11.78% during the forecast period 2020-2025. 3D cell culture is a culture environment that allows cells to grow and interact with surrounding extracellular framework in three dimensions. This is in contrast with traditional 2D cell cultures in which cells are grown in a flat monolayer on a plate. 3D cell cultures can be grown with or without a supporting scaffold. Growing focus on developing alternatives to animal testing, growing focus on personalized medicine, increasing frequency of chronic diseases, and the availability of funding for research are driving the market growth in recent years. In addition, major market development of key players like Corning Incorporated and others are supporting the growth of the market.
The report: “3D Cell Culture Market Forecast (2020-2025)”, by IndustryARC, covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the 3D Cell Culture Market.
By Product: Scaffold-Based 3D Cell Cultures, Scaffold-Free 3D Cell Cultures, Microfluidics-Based 3D Cell Cultures and Magnetic & Bioprinted 3D Cell Cultures
By Application: Cancer & Stem Cell Research, Drug Discovery & Toxicology Testing, and Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine
By End Users: Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, Hospitals and Diagnostics, Research Institutes, Cosmetics Industry, and Others
By Geography: North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World
- North America dominated the 3D Cell Culture Market in the year 2019 owing to increasing incidence of cancer and the presence of a well-established pharmaceutical & biotechnology industry. The 3D Cell Culture Market scope for different regions will be provided in the final report.
- Growing focus on developing alternatives to animal testing, growing focus on personalized medicine, increasing frequency of chronic diseases, and increasing government expenditure of funding for research is estimated to drive the industry growth during the forecast period 2020-2025.
- Detailed analysis on the Strength, Weakness and Opportunities of the prominent players operating in the market will be provided in the 3D Cell Culture Market report.
- Requirement of high cost of cell research with technologically advanced infrastructure is anticipated to hamper the market growth of the 3D Cell Culture Industry.
Product - Segment Analysis
Scaffold-based 3D cell cultures held the largest share in the product segment of 3D Cell Culture Market in 2019 and are estimated to grow at a CAGR of 12.30% during the forecast period 2020-2025. The growth of this segment is primarily driven by the primary advantages of flexibility and longevity of scaffolds in the 3D structure. The 3D scaffold is typically biocompatible, degrading and resorbing at a rate corresponding to tissue growth, thereby defining the shape and function of the assimilated cell structure. Synthetic and natural materials both have advantages as 3D scaffolds over 2D surfaces. Scaffold-based 3D cell cultures is set to be the fastest growing segment and is estimated to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period 2020-2025, owing to increased investment uptakes in the segment by key market players like Sigma-Aldrich and others.
End User - Segment Analysis
Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies held the major share in the end user segment of 3D Cell Culture Market in 2019. Growing applications of 3D cell systems by pharmaceutical companies for drug discovery, toxicity screening, and regenerative medicine has increased the demand of the segment by a large margin. This has led to considerable increase in market growth of the segment in recent years. Hospitals and Diagnostics is forecast to grow at the fastest rate with the highest CAGR during the forecast period 2020-2025, owing to growing number of research activities by key market players and relevant and accurate applications in cellular environment investigation.
Geography - Segment Analysis
North America dominates the geography segment of 3D Cell Culture Market with a share of more than 43.71% in 2019, followed by Europe. Increasing incidence of cancer, demand for advancements in drug discovery & development and the presence of a well-established pharmaceutical & biotechnology industry have resulted in massive growth of the market in the last decade. There is a greater efficacy with respect to toxicity screening of drugs, which is boosting revenues of this segment, along with the rising incidence of chronic diseases among the geriatric population. Europe held the second place in the geography segment share of the market. In Europe, rise in the demand for 3D cell culture owing to increased average income and the market expansion in the region have helped the market.
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the fastest rate at a higher CAGR during the forecast period 2020-2025. This is owing to increasing health related fatalities in developing countries such as India, growing demands for cell-based approaches in healthcare and increasing research and development trends of new generation therapies.
Drivers – 3D Cell Culture Market
- Growing demand on developing alternatives to animal testing
The disadvantages of using animals in the drug development process, as well as the currently approved alternatives to animal testing motivate key players into investing more in the market. Research animals require a substantial input of time for feeding and general care, as well as a significant amount of space for housing. The most compelling argument against the use of animals in research, is that physiological responses of a drug tested in an animal are never a true predictor of the response of a human. This disadvantages are overcome with 3D cell approach. This is set to drive the market growth in the forecast years 2020-2025.
- Increasing government expenditure on funding for research
With gradual advent of modern medicines and increasing rate of disease occurrences, governments are now more focused on spending on modern and better medical facilities. This is projected to drive the demand for 3D Cell Culture, and consequently help in market growth during the forecast period 2020-2025.
Challenges – 3D Cell Culture Market
- Requirement of high cost of cell research
Higher costs of cell research are likely to limit their use on a larger scale in medicine and treatments. In the long run, this puts the burden on end users and patients, which discourages it from becoming widely available to the people. Thus, it is anticipated to hamper the market growth during the forecast period 2020-2025.
3D Cell Culture Industry Outlook
Product launches, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by players in the 3D Cell Culture Market. In 2019, 3D Cell Culture Market share is consolidated by the top players present in the market. 3D Cell Culture Market top 10 companies are Thermo Fisher Scientific, Corning Incorporated, Merck KgaA, Lonza Group, Reprocell, 3D Biotek LLC, Emulate, Inc., CN Bio Innovations Limited, Hamilton Company and Insphero AG among others.
- In October 2019, Corning Incorporated announced two additions to its 3D cell culture portfolio, lplasia plates and Matrigel matrix that provide new solutions to support spheroid and organoid culture models.
1. 3D Cell Culture Market Overview
1.1 Definitions and Scope
2. 3D Cell Culture Market - Executive Summary
2.1 Market Revenue and Key Trends by Company
2.2 Key trends by Product
2.3 Key trends by End Users
2.4 Key trends by Geography
3. 3D Cell Culture Market – Comparative Analysis
3.1 Product Benchmarking – Key Companies
3.2 Financial Analysis – Key Companies
3.3 Market Value Split by Key Companies
3.4 Patent Analysis – Key Companies
3.5 Pricing Analysis
4. 3D Cell Culture Market - Startup Companies Scenario (Premium)
4.1 Key Startup Company Analysis by
4.1.3 Venture Capital and Funding Scenario
5. 3D Cell Culture Market – Industry Market Entry Scenario Premium (Premium)
5.1 Regulatory Framework Overview
5.2 New Business and Ease of Doing business index
5.3 Case Studies of Successful Ventures
6. 3D Cell Culture Market Forces
6.1 Market Drivers
6.2 Market Constraints/Challenges
6.3 Porters five force model
6.3.1 Bargaining power of suppliers
6.3.2 Bargaining powers of customers
6.3.3 Threat of new entrants
6.3.4 Rivalry among existing players
6.3.5 Threat of substitutes
7. 3D Cell Culture Market – Strategic Analysis
7.1 Value Chain Analysis
7.2 Opportunities Analysis
7.3 Market Life Cycle
8. 3D Cell Culture Market– By Product (Market Size –$Million/$Billion)
8.1 Scaffold-Based 3D Cell Cultures
8.2 Scaffold-Free 3D Cell Cultures
8.3 Microfluidics-Based 3D Cell Cultures
8.4 Magnetic & Bio printed 3D Cell Cultures
9. 3D Cell Culture Market – By Application (Market Size –$Million/$Billion)
9.1 Cancer & Stem Cell Research
9.2 Drug Discovery & Toxicology Testing
9.3 Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine
10. 3D Cell Culture Market – By End User (Market Size –$Million/$Billion)
10.1 Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
10.2 Hospitals and Diagnostics
10.3 Research Institutes
10.4 Cosmetics Industry
11. 3D Cell Culture Market - By Geography (Market Size –$Million/$Billion)
11.1 North America
11.2.6 Rest of Europe
11.3.4 South Korea
11.3.5 Australia & New Zealand
11.3.6 Rest of Asia-Pacific
11.4 Rest of the World
11.4.1 Middle East
11.4.3 South America
12. 3D Cell Culture Market- Entropy
13. 3D Cell Culture Market – Industry/Segment Competition Landscape (Premium)
13.1 Market Share Analysis
13.1.1 Global Market Share – Key Companies
13.1.2 Market Share by Region– Key companies
13.1.3 Market Share by Countries – Key Companies
13.1.4 Best Practices for Companies
14. 3D Cell Culture Market – Key Company List by Country Premium (Premium)
15. 3D Cell Culture Market Company Analysis
15.1 Company 1
15.2 Company 2
15.3 Company 3
15.4 Company 4
15.5 Company 5
15.6 Company 6
15.7 Company 7
15.8 Company 8
15.9 Company 9
15.10 Company 10 and more
"*Financials for private companies would be provided on a best efforts basis”.