There are various classes of ships available with navy such as aircraft carriers, destroyers, littoral warships, amphibious warships, support craft and submarines. Aircraft carrier is known for its versatility, mobility and capabilities such as effective offence and defense capabilities not just in sea but in air and land. Aircraft carrier is a floating military base comprising fleet of fighter jets and military personnel, missile launching systems, radar absorbent material, catapult system and anti-submarine warfare capabilities.
Globally, the aircraft carrier market has been witnessing a relatively steady growth, which has been primarily attributed to gaining dominance over the sea. Many countries are planning to develop the aircraft carrier to project their force to the world. US is the leading player in aircraft carrier market. Whereas China is the emerging player is soon expected to pick up the growth.
The global aircraft carrier is also driven by the factors such as national security, territorial integrity and sovereign state. National security is a concept that a government, along with its parliament(s), should protect the state and its citizens against all kind of "national" crises through a variety of power projections, such as political power, diplomacy, economic power, military might, and so on. Whereas Territorial integrity is the principle under international law that nation-states should not attempt to promote secessionist movements or to promote border changes in other nation-states. Conversely it states that imposition by force of a border change is an act of aggression.”
Maintenance is one of the major challenge after aircraft carrier possession. Smaller countries such as Thailand has discontinued its aircraft carrier because of the high maintenance cost. But going forward with advancement in automation, the industry is expected to lower the cost of maintenance.
The report comprises of companies operating in the global aircraft carrier market such as Thales, Fincantieri, BAE System, DCNS, Huntington Ingalls Industries, Navantia, Wincaton, Finmeccanica, Northrop Grumman Corporation, General Atomics, Babcock, United Shipbuilding, Cochin Shipyard and others. Market players have been profiled in terms of attributes such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, and recent developments.
Scope of the Report:
The aircraft carrier market is mainly divided as per the technology capabilities and has been segmented as follows:
Based on Technology Type:
- Propulsion System
- Catapult System
- Fixed Wing Aircraft
- Command and Control System
- Missile Launching System
- Radar System
- Radar Absorbent Material
Based on Region:
- Rest of the World
Recent Industry Trends:
The current industry trend is to develop the aircraft carrier with larger capacity than the previous one. China’s century ambition is to operate a fleet of sophisticated aircraft carrier battle group. The country has initiated the process by commissioning the first mid-sized aircraft carrier called Liaoning in 2012. China certainly faces challenges as it seeks to integrate and implement ships based systems, it appears that it is committed to addressing these issues. By simultaneously developing support systems, and associated technologies, China is laying the proper foundation in order to achieve advanced operational capabilities in the future. In addition, countries are also trying to match the aircraft carrier capabilities by procuring fleet of amphibious warfare’s with large deck.
- Insight 1: China is planning to build its second aircraft carrier in house from the port city of Dalian. The aircraft carrier is expected to be completed by 2018. In addition, the country is expected to have two more aircraft carriers in pipeline for 2020. Subsequent carriers are expected to be larger than the Liaoning’s 60,000 tons and feature design and engine improvements. The new vessels will have an overall length of 320m and a planned displacement of 85,000 tons.
- Insight 2: Including the Liaoning, China is expected to build 4 to 5 aircraft carriers by 2020. China is aggressively building on its sea power because of the ongoing conflict with the neighboring countries such as Japan and South Korea, China could ultimately decide to build as many as 10 aircraft carrier to achieve its geopolitical goals.
- Insight 3: Future aircraft carriers are expected to build in-house and ultimately nuclear powered, vastly extending their range. This is part of China's plan to expand presence around the world” to secure its interests in resources, markets and shipping routes.
- Insight 4: At present, the US launches its fixed-wing aircraft over both the ship’s bow and its angled deck using catapults, this provide an aircraft with a greater range/payload capability than that of aircraft launched with a ski ramp. The Liaoning has also made the fixed wing aircraft land with the help of arresting wires on its angled deck.
The quantitative and qualitative data collected for the Aircraft Carrier report is from a combination of secondary and primary sources. Research interviews were conducted with senior executives and/or mangers in the Aircraft Carrier Industry. These Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) were then provided a questionnaire to gather quantitative and qualitative inputs on their operations, performance, strategies and views on the overall market, including key developments and technology trends. Data from interviews is consolidated, checked for consistency and accuracy, and the final market numbers are again validated by experts. The global market was split by product types and geography based on different factors like primary and secondary sources, understanding of the number of companies operating in each segment and also KOL insights.
To understand the trend in research and development of navy ship segments, and their priorities, IndustryARC undertook exploratory patent analysis to lay an initial foundation for future research on development and use of aircraft carriers. The exploratory analysis focused on identifying development related to technology of ships based systems, with an emphasis on certain technology parameters which intended to understand the roles that various countries sees for naval systems. In addition analyzing trends in development of ships system and exploring how China could deploy these systems; and identifying areas for further research and potential future developments. IndustryARC has analyzed patents in several different parameters in navy ships segment technologies. The patent analysis have also helped us to deduce and map the futuristic technologies in most efficient way. The technology roadmap is developed using bottom-up approach. The technology roadmap is categorized in three parts i.e. short term (less than 10 years), medium term (from 10 to 20 years) and long term from (more than 20 years).
Key Secondary resources include Department of Defense websites from various countries and private companies’ website covered in this report.