According to the United Nations statistics, more than 131 million babies are born each year across the world. In addition, approximately 8 million are born with birth defects. Prenatal Testing and Newborn Screening is one of the advanced techniques used in the healthcare industry to identify the defects at a very early stage. The employment of these tests has been growing tremendously to identify any birth defects in early stages.
The hearing screen instruments had a major share in the instruments segment with a market share of 28%. The growth in prenatal and newborn genetic testing market is majorly driven by awareness of various genetic and chromosomal disorders which can be screened with the help of advanced instruments and further course of action can be planned accordingly. The development of various healthcare technologies such as next generation sequencing, high throughput screening has helped to detect various abnormalities at an early stage. These tests are expected to grow at CAGR of 10.8% during the forecast period i.e. 2018-2023.
What is Prenatal testing and Newborn screening?
Prenatal diagnosis is a series of tests conducted during pregnancy to determine the health of the fetus at an early stage. These tests can determine various genetic and chromosomal anomalies such as birth defects, gene mutations, cystic fibrosis and so on. The purpose of prenatal diagnosis is the early detection of abnormal diseases so that a suitable treatment can be advised.
Newborn screening is the test carried out during the early days of the babies for detection of certain disorders which would hinder their growth and development. Various abnormalities such as phenylketonuria (PKU), galactosemia, sickle cell disease, congenital hypothyroidism are detected during these tests.
The report incorporates in-depth analysis of prenatal testing and newborn screening market by type, diagnostic techniques, technology, instruments and geography.
What are the major applications of Prenatal testing and Newborn screening?
Prenatal testing and newborn screening tests help to determine various genetic and chromosomal diseases. Genetic diseases such as sickle cell, down’s syndrome, cystic fibrosis and muscular dystrophy are detected with the help of these tests. It helps to provide timely medical or surgical treatment of a condition before or after birth. These tests also provide a chance to abort the fetus in case it has been diagnosed with a deadly disorder. It helps parents to prepare psychologically, socially, financially, and medically for a baby with a health problem. In some cases, extremely rare diseases can also be detected.
Market Research and Market Trends of Prenatal testing and Newborn screening:
- In 2016, Eurofins LifeCodexx launched the first noninvasive prenatal test (NIPT) assay based on a quantitative real-time PCR for prenatal testing of fetal trisomy 21. This test is cost effective and has faster processing time when compared to the conventional PCR technique. Hence, it is widely used in molecular diagnostics as the test results are of highest quality standards. In 2017, Eurofins Genoma enhanced the NIPT technology that screens for both de novo – gene mutations, that are not inherited – and inherited single-gene disorders through simple blood tests.
- Approximately 60 to 65 percent of the prenatal genetic tests are now switching to next-generation sequencing (NGS) methodologies. Emergence of NGS along with various microarray techniques provides a wider scope to create tests with better specificity and sensitivity. GeneVu, a product of Roche Holding AG uses next-generation sequencing to detect mutations and carriers during prenatal testing.
- Whole-Exome Sequencing (WES) is analysis of all exons of all protein coding genes in the human genome. WES is a less costly and more efficient method in detecting mutations. However, WGS is useful as it analyzes around 3 billion base pairs and is more powerful than WES. At present, WGS is much more expensive than WES because of its sequencing technology and requires a large database to store, manage and analyze the data. WGS has been improving at a very fast rate and with the reduction in cost, it would be highly preferred over WES in clinical practice.
- Qiagen, which solely focused on oncology has shifted its focus in the development of fetal cell-free DNA assays for prenatal testing technology. Pregnant mothers can undergo non-invasive prenatal testing to prevent birth defects in babies. This technology differentiates the fetal placental DNA from the background of the mother’s DNAs, further giving detail insight to the doctors pertaining to baby’s genetic issues.
Who are the Major Players in Prenatal testing and Newborn screening market?
The companies referred to in this market research report include Abbott laboratories, Thermo fisher Scientific, Qaigen, Bio-Rad, Strand life sciences, Roche Holding AG, Eurofins scientific, Natera Inc., Premaitha Health plc, Illumina, Inc., Quest diagnostics Inc.
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis so on to gauge the impact forces potential opportunities the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase each report and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT more.
- Analyze the sales distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnership and product launches all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-dem gaps, import-export statistics regulatory lscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market