Pharmaceutical Filtration Market Overview
Pharmaceutical Filtration Market size is estimated to be $20.4 billion in 2019, growing at a CAGR of 6.9% during the forecast period 2020-2025. Pharmaceutical filtration denotes to the process through which unwanted particles, including undissolved powders and solid impurities, are removed from the processed components, further resulting in the reduction of bacteria. Growing importance on biologics and their development for the treatment of numerous diseases is a key attribute anticipated to trigger the market growth. Significant upsurge in the number of chronic diseases globally is one of the major reasons for the advancement of pharmaceutical industry. This has resulted in high demand for advanced therapeutic drugs for the treatment of chronic diseases including cancer, asthma, diabetes, COPD, and arthritis. Moreover, production of novel biologics necessitates highest sterility and zero risk of contamination which further demands the application of advanced filtration products for production of drugs and biologics. Rising investment in research and development in the field of biologics is another leading factor attributing to the market expansion. Further, increasing number of cancer cases and growing biopharmaceutical and generic drug production for its treatment are supporting the industry growth
The report: “Pharmaceutical Filtration Market Forecast (2020-2025)”, by IndustryARC, covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the Pharmaceutical Filtration Market.
By Product- Membrane Filters, Prefilters & Depth Media Filters, Cartridge & Capsule Filters, Single-Use Systems, Filter Holders, Filtration Accessories, Others.
By Application- Final Product Processing, Raw Material Filtration, Cell Separation, Water Purification, Air Purification.
By Geography-North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of the World.
- Rapid adoption of innovative treatment therapies including therapeutic proteins, monoclonal antibodies, and vaccines have resulted in enhanced number of various biopharmaceutical and biotechnology companies utilizing filtration systems.
- The membrane filters segment is projected to witness growth at fastest CAGR during the forecast period 2020-2025 owing to several advantages provided by them such as reduced risk of contamination, lessens operation time, and deliver ease of convenience.
- Asia Pacific pharmaceutical filtration market is anticipated to have the highest CAGR during the study period owing to untapped industry potential in this region. High investments by Contract Research Organizations (CROs) and Contract Manufacturing Organizations (CMOs) for the production of biologics and drugs as well as comparatively less stringent government regulations in favor of market players is set to fuel industry growth.
- Majority of the market players are continually engaged in research and development to expand existing product portfolios and introduce new technologies to support in sterilization of the media and the constituents. For instance, AstraZeneca, a leading healthcare company invested around USD 6,059 million in R&D in 2019.
By Product- Segment Analysis
By Product the Pharmaceutical Filtration is segmented into Membrane Filters, Prefilters & Depth Media Filters, Single-Use Systems, Cartridge & Capsule Filters, Filter Holders, Filtration Accessories, and Others. Membrane filters held the major market share in 2019, owing to its versatile usage in a varied range of applications including microfiltration, nanofiltration, ultrafiltration, and cross-flow filtration. Also, membrane filters segment is projected to witness growth at fastest CAGR of 7.6% in forecast period 2020-2025. They are widely used in the development and manufacturing processes including end-stage processes and sterile filtration. Thus, increase in incidence of Chronic and viral diseases such as anthrax, influenza, measles, tuberculosis, Flu and chickenpox, mandates the need for advanced drugs and vaccines and is likely to accelerate rapidly in the near future. According to CDC, around 5 to 20 percent of the population in the United States get infected with flu annually.
By Application- Segment Analysis
By Application the Pharmaceutical Filtration is segmented into Final Product Processing, Raw Material Filtration, Cell Separation, Water Purification, Air Purification. Final product processing sub segment held the largest market share in the year 2019 by the virtue of its enormous application in active pharmaceutical ingredient processing, vaccines processing, protein purification, viral clearance, and antibody processing. Advancements in technology including nanofiber filtration and ultrafiltration is set to propel the adoption of innovative filters for final product processing, in turn projected to drive the industry demand. In addition, the intensifying adoption of biologics and other therapeutic proteins has resulted in high usage of protein purification processes in the biopharmaceutical and pharmaceutical industry, that is poised to provide significant boost to the market evolution.
Geography- Segment Analysis
North America contributed to the largest market share of 41% owing to the presence of large dominant pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies in the region including Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Pfizer Inc., Merck KGaA, and Amgen Inc. Sophisticated healthcare infrastructure and availability to advanced products in this region have highly supported the growth of regional market. Europe pharmaceutical filtration market is another dominant market as a result of innovative healthcare infrastructure and the availability of technologically advanced products. Growing demand for biopharmaceuticals is also projected to drive the market growth in this region. Europe based key players including Sartorius Stedim Biotech S.A. and Merck KGaA holds extensive distribution network in the region and internationally enabling the European market to capture substantial share in the global market.
Drivers – Pharmaceutical Filtration Market
- Growth of Biopharmaceuticals Industry
Biopharmaceutical is one of the fastest-growing sub-segment in the pharmaceutical industry and filtration products finds substantial application in the biopharmaceuticals industry. The share of biopharmaceutical products in the global pharmaceutical market is anticipated to reach over 27% in 2020. The growing share can be attributed to the augmented usage of gene therapy, cell therapy, and recombinant therapeutics for the treatment of diseases and disorders including diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and malignancy. Furthermore, the impending patent cliff and effective treatment offered by biologics is compelling most pharmaceutical companies to develop new biologics. This has further led to the adoption of filtration methods for production of biologics resultant to the market growth.
- Increasing Healthcare Expenditure Globally
Healthcare expenditure is rising around the world, by the virtue of growing prevalence of diseases coupled with increasing non-government and government initiatives for promoting healthcare. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the development in healthcare expenditure is resulting in the enhancement of healthcare infrastructure and improved focus on Research and Development, in turn, supporting the growth of the pharmaceutical filtration market. Big investments are being made for the formulation and development of drugs to cater the rising demand for preventive interventions and probable treatments for several chronic diseases driving the industry growth.
Challenges – Pharmaceutical Filtration Market
- Stringent Regulatory Requirements
Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies face many challenges in obtaining FDA approvals for novel and innovative products. The validation of filtration processes helps in ensuring that the process can be performed consistently without any failure. Based on the country and strictness of regulations, it mostly takes more than 12 years for a drug to receive sanction and get launched in the market. Moreover, stringent regulatory frameworks and time-consuming approval processes can hinder research investments in this market and interrupt new product launches.
Pharmaceutical Filtration Market Industry Outlook
Product Launches, Merger & Acquistion, joint ventures and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by the players in Pharmaceutical Filtration Market. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market top 10 companies are Merck KGaA, GE Healthcare, Pall Corporation, Parker Hannifin Corporation, Sartorius Stedim Biotech S.A., 3M Company, Eaton Corporation, Graver Technologies, Meissner Filtration Technologies and Amazon Filters Ltd.
- July 2018: Pall Corporation is partnering with BioSciences Corp., a consulting company providing novel biologics and biosimilars process know-how and regulatory experience from molecule selection to full commercialization.
1. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market Overview
1.1 Definitions and Scope
2. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market - Executive Summary
2.1 Market Revenue and Key Trends
2.2 Key trends by Product
2.3 Key trends by Application
2.4 Key trends by Geography
3. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market –Comparative Analysis
3.1 Product Benchmarking - Key companies
3.2 Financials Analysis - Key Companies
3.3 Market Share Analysis- Key Companies
3.4 Patent Analysis
3.5 Pricing Analysis
4. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market- Startup companies Scenario Premium (Premium)
4.1 Key Startup Company Analysis by
4.1.3 Application Analysis
4.1.4 Venture Capital and Funding Scenario
5. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market – Industry Market Entry Scenario Premium (Premium)
5.1 Regulatory Framework Overview
5.2 New Business and Ease of Doing business index
5.3 Case Studies of Successful Ventures
6. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market Forces
6.1 Market Drivers
6.2 Market Constraints
6.3 Porters Five Force Model
6.3.1 Bargaining power of suppliers
6.3.2 Bargaining powers of customers
6.3.3 Threat of new entrants
6.3.4 Rivalry among existing players
6.3.5 Threat of substitutes
7. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market -Strategic analysis
7.1 Value chain analysis
7.2 Opportunities analysis
7.3 Market life cycle
8. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market – By Product (Market Size –$Million/$Billion)
8.1 Membrane Filters
8.2 Prefilters & Depth Media Filters
8.3 Cartridge & Capsule Filters
8.4 Single-Use Systems
8.5 Filter Holders
8.6 Filtration Accessories
9. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market – By Application (Market Size –$Million/$Billion)
9.1 Final Product Processing
9.2 Raw Material Filtration
9.3 Cell Separation
9.4 Water Purification
9.5 Air Purification
10. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market - By Geography (Market Size -$Million/$Billion)
10.1 North America
10.2.6 Rest of Europe
10.3.3 South Korea
10.3.5 Australia & New Zealand
10.3.6 Rest of Asia-Pacific
10.4 Rest of the World
10.4.1 Middle East
10.4.3 South America
11. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market - Entropy
12. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market – Industry/Segment Competition Landscape (Premium)
12.1. Market Share Analysis
12.1.1 Global Market Share – Key Companies
12.1.2 Market Share by Region – Key companies
12.1.3 Market Share by Country- Key companies
12.1.4 Best Practices for Companies
13. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market – Key Company List by Country Premium (Premium)
14. Pharmaceutical Filtration Market Company Analysis
14.1 Company Revenue, Products, M&A, Developments
14.2 Merck KGaA
14.3 GE Healthcare
14.4 Pall Corporation
14.5 Parker Hannifin Corporation
14.6 Sartorius Stedim Biotech S.A.
14.7 3M Company
14.8 Eaton Corporation
14.9 Amazon Filters Ltd.
14.10 Graver Technologies
14.11 Meissner Filtration Technologies
*Financials for private companies would be provided on a best efforts basis”.