Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market Overview
Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market size was estimated at $1.85 billion in 2019 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 6.4% during the forecast period 2020-2025. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive are the products mostly used by the surgeons as suture adjuncts to avoid leakage of air and liquid. As they are absorbable materials they are used internal bleeding and to seal tissues. They can also effectively substitute sutures and staples for improved closure, reduced blood loss, quicker implementation, and smoother and less painful procedure without removal. The growing prevalence and occurrence rates of various accidents and injuries associated with sports, rise in demand for surgical services and increase in concern of reducing the surgical wounds are becoming the factors that contribute growth of the Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market. However, the high cost of surgical sealants and the availability of Surgical adhesives and sealant substitutes hinder the growth of this market. For example, minimally invasive surgery is an option, since this technique involves only a minor incision for the operation to be performed, thereby removing the risks associated with bleeding and air leakage. Conversely, the development of new surgical sealants and adhesives is expected to create lucrative opportunities for the market.
Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market Report Coverage
The report: “Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market Forecast (2020-2025)”, by Industry ARC, covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market.
By Product: Natural or Biological, Synthetic & Semi-Synthetic and by origin
By Manifestation: Surgical Hemostasis, Tissue Sealing and Tissue Engineering
By Application: General surgery, CNS surgery, Cardiovascular surgery, Orthopedic surgery, Ophthalmic surgery, Cosmetic surgery, Pulmonary surgery, Urology surgery and Others
By End User: Hospitals, Clinics
By Geography: North America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Rest of World
- Geographically, North America the Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market accounted for the 36% revenue share in 2019 and it is predicted to dominate during the forecast period 2020-2025 owing to the high demand for Surgical Sealants and Adhesives in this region.
- Increased demand for R&D made by the key players in a different region of the world are driving the market.
- Detailed analysis on the Strength, Weakness and Opportunities of the prominent players operating in the market will be provided in the Surgical Sealants and Adhesives market.
Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market Segment Analysis - By Product
The product segment of Market has Natural or Biological, Synthetic and Semi-Synthetic. Natural or biological are further categorized as fibrin, collagen-based, albumin and gelatin based. Fibrin sealants accounts for the largest market share and expected to grow at 6.2 % CAGR due to their wide use in medical practice. They are efficiently used in thoracic, spinal, orthopedic, neuro and reconstruction surgery. Moreover, fibrin among the other sealants is the only product that has earned approval from FDA to be used in all three categories, namely Haemostats, Sealants, Adhesives, on the other side, synthetic and semisynthetic are categorized into Polyurethane, Polythene glycol based, Polyester based, Cyanoacrylate adhesives. Cyanoacrylates is expected to have the highest growth in the forecast period due to its high-speed drying rate. Its high mechanical strength and ease of adhesion are responsible for its expanded use in surgical practices worldwide. However, Cyanoacrylates are known to cause extreme inflammatory reactions when applied to non-cutaneous surfaces, which limit their use during internal surgeries. External injuries and surgeries can only be used as a result of which the market development is likely to be hampered.
Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market Segment Analysis - By Geography
Based on Geography the global the Surgical Sealants and Adhesives Market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of the World. North America dominated the market share with 36% in the year 2019 owing to the increased surgeries based on the Surgical Sealants and Adhesives. Asia–Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing region in the Surgical Sealants and Adhesives market. Factors like investments by major players, rising health awareness, growing per capita income and growing demand for the cosmetic surgery are expected to drive the market.
Surgical Sealants and Adhesives Market Drivers
Growing market for Cosmetic Surgery:
The rising consciousness on the facial features and increase in number of accidents and sports injuries every year has led to the increase in surgical procedures that includes the Surgical Sealants and Adhesives in their surgeries to repair the damaged tissue, internal organs and blood vessels these sealants are used to prevent the blood loss or to prevent leaks. Increase in skin injuries due to burns and increase in number of breast cancer patients undergoing mastectomy and breast reconstruction worldwide is rising the face feature enhancement surgeries or simply cosmetic surgeries that uses the Sealants and Adhesives to repair the damaged skin and organs is fueling the Surgical Sealants and Adhesives Market globally.
Increase in number of Cardiovascular Diseases (CVD), Liver surgery, Splenic Trauma:
Due to smoking, alcohol consumption, unhealthy lifestyle and inadequate physical activity the cases of CVD and Liver surgery and some other organs surgeries is increasing every year. And all these surgeries uses the Fibrin Sealants in tissue sealing and hemostasis to repair the tissues and blood vessels damaged in the clinical procedures.
Surgical Sealants and Adhesives Market Challenges
Expensive Material and procedure:
For the Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market the main challenge associated is with the clinical usage of the Surgical Sealants and Adhesives is the material and the clinical procedures being very expensive in most of the cases And this is increasing the scope for other mechanical alternatives such as sutures and staples. In some cases of Hemostasis surgery the material used in the clinical procedure is not being effective in bleeding control.
Surgical Sealants and Adhesives Industry Outlook
Product launches, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and geographical expansions are key strategies adopted by players in the Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market. In 2019, Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market share is fragmented by the top ten players present in the market. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market top 10 companies are Baxter International, Inc.; Medtronic PLC; Cohera Medical, Inc., CryoLife, Inc.; C.R. Bard, Inc.; B. Braun Melsungen AG ;Johnson & Johnson (Ethicon, Inc.), Sealantis Ltd.; CSL Limited; Mallinckrodt plc.
- In 2019, CSL opened its new global headquarters in Melbourne, Australia, to encourage and develop partnerships between academic biomedical science and industry, creating important linkages in the translation of new drugs for the unmet medical needs.
- Johnson & Johnson (Ethicon, Inc.) introduced VISTASEAL fibrin Sealant (Human) in 2019 to control bleeding during surgery.
- Baxter purchased two hemostat and sealant products from Mallinckrodt in 2018. RECOTHROM Thrombin topical hemostat is the first and only stand-alone recombinant thrombin, and PREVELEAK surgical sealant is used for vascular repair. This acquisition allowed Baxter to expand its product offerings and to gain a greater portion of the global demand for surgical sealants and adhesives.
1. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market - Overview
1.1 Definitions and Scope
2. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market - Executive Summary
2.1 Market Revenue and Key Trends by Company
2.2 Key trends by Product
2.3 Key trends by Manifestation
2.4 Key trends by Application
2.5 Key trends by End User
2.6 Key trends by Geography
3. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market – Comparative Analysis
3.1 Product Benchmarking – Key Companies
3.2 Financial Analysis – Key Companies
3.3 Market Value Split by Key Companies
3.4 Patent Analysis – Key Companies
3.5 Pricing Analysis
4. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market - Startup Companies Scenario Premium
4.1 Key Startup Company Analysis by
4.1.3 Venture Capital and Funding Scenario
5. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market – Industry Market Entry Scenario Premium Premium
5.1 Regulatory Framework Overview
5.2 New Business and Ease of Doing business index
5.3 Case Studies of Successful Ventures
6. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive - Market Forces
6.1 Market Drivers
6.2 Market Constraints/Challenges
6.3 Porters five force model
6.3.1 Bargaining power of suppliers
6.3.2 Bargaining powers of customers
6.3.3 Threat of new entrants
6.3.4 Rivalry among existing players
6.3.5 Threat of substitutes
7. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market– Strategic Analysis
7.1 Value Chain Analysis
7.2 Opportunities Analysis
7.3 Market Life Cycle
8. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market– By Product (Market Size - $Million/$Billion)
8.1 Natural/ Biological
8.2 Synthetic & semi-synthetic Polymer Based
8.2.1 Polyurethane based
8.2.2 Polythene glycol based
8.2.3 Polyester based
8.3 By Origin
8.3.1 Human blood based
8.3.2 Animal based
8.3.3 Plant based
9. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market– By Manifestation (Market Size - $Million/$Billion)
9.1 Surgical Hemostasis
9.2 Tissue sealing
9.3 Tissue Engineering
10. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market– By Application (Market Size - $Million/$Billion)
10.1 General surgery
10.2 CNS surgery
10.3 Cardiovascular surgery
10.4 Orthopedic surgery
10.5 Ophthalmic surgery
10.6 Cosmetic surgery
10.7 Pulmonary surgery
10.8 Urological surgery
11. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market– By End User (Market Size - $Million/$Billion)
12. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market- By Geography (Market Size - $Million/$Billion)
12.1 North America
12.2.6 Rest of Europe
12.3.4 South Korea
12.3.5 Australia & New Zealand
12.3.6 Rest of Asia-Pacific
12.4 Rest of the World
12.4.1 Middle East
12.4.3 South America
13. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market - Entropy
14. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market – Industry/Segment Competition Landscape Premium
14.1 Market Share Analysis
14.1.1 Global Market Share – Key Companies
14.1.2 Market Share by Region – Key companies
14.1.3 Market Share by Countries – Key Companies
14.1.4 Best Practices for Companies
15. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market– Key Company List by Country Premium Premium
16. Surgical Sealants and Adhesive Market Company Analysis
16.1 Company 1
16.2 Company 2
16.3 Company 3
16.4 Company 4
16.5 Company 5
16.6 Company 6
16.7 Company 7
16.8 Company 8
16.9 Company 9
16.10 Company 10
"*Financials for private companies would be provided on a best efforts basis”.