Spine Surgery Devices Market Overview
Spine Surgery Devices Market size is estimated to reach $17.6 billion by
2027, growing at a CAGR of 4.6% during the forecast period 2022-2027. Spine
Surgery Devices are the medical machinery utilized
to treat spinal deformities and ailments. Spinal decompression surgery is utilized to
treat spinal stenosis, which is when some spaces in the spine begin to get
narrower. This leaves less room for the spinal cord and the nerves that branch
off of it. When the spaces around the vertebrae and spinal cord get smaller,
nerves around the spine may get pinched or irritated. Spinal stenosis can occur
naturally as one grows older, or it can be brought about by scoliosis or spinal
injury. Spinal fusion includes
techniques planned to imitate the normal healing process of broken bones. At
the time of spinal fusion, the surgeon positions bone or a bonelike material
within the space between two spinal vertebrae. Metal plates, screws, and rods
may be utilized to hold the vertebrae together. So they can heal into one solid
unit. Cervical implants are cervical
devices that surgeons apply to decompress and stabilize the neck. These devices
are enclosed either from the front (anterior) of the spine or from the back
(posterior). The thoracolumbar spine is
the changeable zone between the stiff thoracic cage and the mobile lumbar
spine. Exposure of the
thoracolumbar spine is typically best achieved by resection of the 10th rib and
reflection of the diaphragm to reveal the retroperitoneal plane. A dynamic stabilization,
also termed flexible or soft stabilization, is an increasing area of spine
surgery that possibly can decrease certain issues inherent with metal implants.
The long-term goal of dynamic stabilization is to treat the present issue and concurrently
decrease adjacent segment ailment. Stimulation devices
include bone growth stimulators which are devices that are used subsequent to cervical or lumbar surgical procedure. They are utilized to assist in spinal
bones fusing together, usually following a fusion procedure or following a
failed spinal fusion.
The expanding population of the elderly and the heightening application
of spinal decompression surgery is set to drive the Spine Surgery Devices
Market. The rising technologies for minimally invasive spine surgery procedures
and the increasing predominance of spinal injuries are set to propel the growth
of the Spine Surgery Devices Market during the forecast period 2022-2027. This
represents the Spine Surgery Devices Industry Outlook.
The report: “Spine Surgery Devices Market Forecast
(2022-2027)”, by Industry ARC, covers an in-depth analysis of the following
segments of the Spine
Surgery Devices Market.
By Device Type: Spinal Decompression
(Corpectomy, Discectomy, Facetectomy, Foraminotomy, Laminotomy). Spinal Fusion
(Cervical Fusion, Interbody Fusion, ThoracoLumbar Fusion, Others), Fracture
Repair Devices, Arthroplasty Devices, Non-Fusion Devices.
By End User: Hospitals, Surgical Centers, Others.
By Geography: North America (U.S, Canada and Mexico), Europe (Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain, Russia and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia & New Zealand, and Rest of Asia-Pacific), South America (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Rest of South America), and Rest Of The World (Middle East, Africa).
- Geographically, North America Spine Surgery Devices Market accounted for the highest revenue share in 2021 and it is poised to dominate the market over the period 2022-2027. This is attributed to the rising count of Americans enduring lower back issues and spine-associated ailments yearly. Further, the rising application of spinal decompression surgery in North America is supporting regional demand.
- Spine Surgery Devices Market growth is being driven by the increasing predominance of spinal ailments and the introduction of progressive bone-grafting products and the rising application of spinal decompression surgery. However, the soaring cost of spinal surgery is one of the major factors hampering the growth of Spine Surgery Devices Market.
- Spine Surgery Devices Market Detailed Analysis on the Strength, Weakness, and Opportunities of the prominent players operating in the market will be provided in the Spine Surgery Devices Market report.
Spine Surgery Devices Market Segment Analysis – By Device Type:
The Spine Surgery Devices
Market based on device type can be further segmented into Spinal Decompression. Spinal Fusion,
Fracture Repair Devices, Arthroplasty Devices and Non-Fusion Devices. The Spinal Fusion Segment held the largest market
share in 2021. This growth is owing to the surging count of product
launches and approvals. In July 2021, Orthofix Medical, a Texas-based developer
of 3D printed orthopedic devices, introduced its novel FORZA Ti PLIF Spacer
System. Planned for application in Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF)
surgeries, the titanium implant is characterized by a complex 3D printed
geometry, a porous structure, and a nanoscale surface texture that advances
bone development by way of the spacer. The soaring manufacture of both anterior
and posterior dynamic stabilization devices for the lumbar spine by key players
is further propelling the growth of the Spinal Fusion segment.
Furthermore, the Spinal Decompression segment is estimated to grow with
the fastest CAGR of 6.2% during the forecast period 2022-2027 owing to the heightening
application of spinal decompression to provide pain relief when administered in
numerous sessions over many weeks with healing commencing right away with
further advantages of spinal decompression being that it is non-invasive,
painless and does not involve any medicines like pain killers to manage the
back pain for the rest of the life.
Spine Surgery Devices Market Segment Analysis – By End User:
The Spine Surgery Devices
Market based on end-user can be further segmented into Hospitals, Surgical Centers and Others. The Hospitals Segment held the largest market share in 2021. This growth is owing to the increasing cases
of spinal ailments and the heightening application of spinal fusion and spinal
decompression techniques in hospitals. Spinal decompression surgery is carried
out to alleviate lower back pain or other symptoms brought about by compression
of the spinal cord or the spinal nerves. The existence of progressive
infrastructure and qualified physicians in hospitals is further propelling the
growth of this segment.
Furthermore, the Surgery Centers segment is
estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR of 5.8% during the forecast period 2022-2027 owing to the extensive
application of spinal fusion in spinal centers and surgery centers.
Spine Surgery Devices Market Segment Analysis – By Geography:
The Spine Surgery Devices
Market based on geography can be further segmented into North America, Europe,
Asia-Pacific, South America, and Rest of the World. North America (Spine Surgery
Devices Market) held the largest share with 35% of the overall market in 2021.
The growth of this region is owing to the increasing
cases of spinal cord injury in the U.S.in the North American region. The burgeoning
application of techniques like spinal decompression and spinal fusion together
with expanding implementation of strategic initiatives by key players are further
propelling the growth of the Spine Surgery Devices Market in the North American
Furthermore, the Asia-Pacific region is estimated to be the region with the fastest CAGR over the forecast period 2022-2027. This growth is owing to factors like the increasing awareness pertaining to spinal decompression and spinal fusion techniques and government backing towards the application of spine surgery devices in the Asia-Pacific region. The proliferating geriatric and obese population in countries like China is further fuelling the progress of the Spine Surgery Devices Market in the Asia-Pacific region.
Spine Surgery Devices Market - Drivers
Surging Applications Of Spinal Decompression Are Projected To Drive The Growth Of Spine Surgery Devices Market:
According to Napless Spine & Disc, research has demonstrated up to 88.9% success rate pertaining to spinal decompression. Cervical, neck decompression, or spinal decompression is a non-surgical technique utilized to alleviate pain in the neck and the lower back. The typical procedure needs a machine or device to mildly and gradually stretch the spine. Spinal decompression can alleviate some of the pressure on the compressed nerve root, comforting pain. The spinal decompression therapy motion results in any herniated discs that are curving outward or disintegrating to retract. This removes the disc pressure on the nerves. With frequent application, there can be positive outcomes, and a persistent condition can be relieved successfully. Spinal decompression is a surgical technique targeted to alleviate pressure on the spinal cord or a compressed nerve root. Spinal treatment opens the bony channels by the way which the spinal cord and nerves pass. This makes space for them to flow freely. Narrowing or stenosis of the spinal cord and nerve root canals brings about chronic pain, numbness, and weakened muscles in the arms or legs. Treatment alternatives for spinal decompression therapy involve medication, physical therapy, and surgery. A physician may suggest surgical treatment if the pain is serious and/or if there are any neurological issues. The surging applications of Spinal Decompression are therefore fuelling the growth of the Spine Surgery Devices Market during the forecast period 2022-2027.
Proliferating Applications Of Spinal Fusion Are Expected To Boost The Growth Of The Spine Surgery Devices Market:
Numerous physicians claim spinal fusion success rates (or back fusion
success rates) are as high as above 90 percent. However, they do not always make
clear what their criteria are for a successful fusion. Therefore, it is not
recognized if they mean the bones have been solidly fused together (technical
success), or the patient's symptoms have been satisfactorily enhanced (clinical
success), or both. Spinal fusion is surgery to permanently link two or more
vertebrae in the spine, removing motion between them. Spinal fusion includes methods
planned to imitate the usual healing process of broken bones. At the time of
spinal fusion, the surgeon positions bone or a bonelike material within the
space between two spinal vertebrae. Metal plates, screws, and rods may be utilized
to hold the vertebrae together so that they can heal into one solid unit.
Spinal fusion permanently links two or more vertebrae in the spine to enhance stability,
fix a deformity, or decrease pain. The physician may suggest spinal fusion to
- Deformities of the spine. Spinal fusion can assist with fixing spinal deformities, like a sideways curvature of the spine (scoliosis).
- Spinal weakness or instability. The spine may become unstable if there is abnormal or too much motion between two vertebrae. This is a typical side effect of serious arthritis in the spine. Spinal fusion can be utilized to fix spinal stability in such cases.
- Herniated disk. Spinal fusion may be utilized to stabilize the spine after the elimination of a broken (herniated) disk.
The proliferating applications of spinal fusion are therefore driving the growth of the Spine Surgery Devices Market during the forecast period 2022-2027.
Spine Surgery Devices Market – Challenges
Risks And Complexities Of Spine Fusion Are Hampering The Growth Of The Spine Surgery Devices Market:
The most typical risk of any of the contemporary spine fusion surgery methods is the failure to alleviate lower back pain symptoms succeeding the surgery. In the best of all situations, this risk happens in a minimum of 20% of spine fusion surgeries. The possibility of this outcome becomes even more recurrent with fusions of three or more levels. This result is typically termed "failed back surgery syndrome". There is also a hazard that the vertebrae may not fuse together succeeding the surgery, termed pseudoarthrosis. Contemporary methods occur in nearly 5% to 10% of spine fusion surgeries. It is well documented in the medical literature that people who smoke have a reduced rate of successful spine fusion. If pedicle screws are utilized, there is a hazard that the screws may break or become loose and may need further surgery to eliminate or revise the screws and rods. Anterior grafts and cages can migrate or subside, which may need repeat spine surgery. These issues are thus hampering the growth of the Spine Surgery Devices Market.
Spine Surgery Devices Industry Outlook:
Technological advancements, product launches, agreements, partnerships and collaborations are key strategies adopted by players in the Spine Surgery Devices Market. Key companies of this market are:
- NuVasive Inc.
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Globus Medical Inc.
- Abbott Laboratories
- Boston Scientific
- Ulrich GmbH & Co. KG
- Kuros Biosciences AG
- Colfax Corporation
- In October 2021, NuVasive, Inc. declared the introduction of the Cohere® TLIF-O implant and the upcoming introduction of the Cohere TLIF-A implant lined for later in the fourth quarter. With these inclusions to its Advanced Materials Science™ (AMS) portfolio, NuVasive is the only firm to provide both porous PEEK and porous titanium implants for posterior spine surgery. Cohere TLIF-O is a porous PEEK implant for the transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF) procedure with an assortment of implant sizes to make room for different patient anatomies and procedurally planned instrumentation.
- In September 2021, Medtronic plc declared the most recent inclusions to its minimally invasive spine surgery ecosystem, making it the only company to integrate spinal implants, biologics, navigation, robotics, and AI-powered data to surgeons and patients. Greater than 450,000 spinal fusion procedures are carried out in the U.S. every year to decrease pain, enhance stability or correct deformities of the spine. Around 200,000 are lower or lumbar fusion procedures, which treat conditions like degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, fractured vertebrae, spinal stenosis, and other conditions.
- In November 2020, NuVasive, Inc. declared the disclosure of its novel C360™ cervical spine portfolio, inclusive of the commercial introduction of the Anterior Cervical Plating (ACP) system, featuring the thinnest plate on the market1 at 1.6 mm. The novel ACP system challenges the status quo of cervical spine technology. It is planned to assist in decreasing typical postoperative complexities, like dysphagia, malalignment, and adjacent level ossification, by allowing surgeons to personalize treatment to patient requirements versus a conventional one-size-fits-all approach.
Report Code: HCR 1228
Report Code: HCR 0098
Report Code: HCR 1222