Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market Overview
Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market size is estimated to reach $521.4 million by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 3.8% during the forecast period 2022-2027. Viral Conjunctivitis is termed pinkeye. It is a greatly contagious acute conjunctiva infection typically brought about by adenovirus. Numerous viruses that can bring about conjunctival infection rely on herpes simplex virus (HSV), varicella-zoster virus (VZV), picornavirus (enterovirus 70, Coxsackie A24), poxvirus (molluscumcontagiosum, vaccinia). Certain symptoms of viral conjunctivitis include light sensitivity, tearing, itchy eyes, and redness. The transmission can also happen by way of accidental inoculation of viral particles from the hands of the patient, infected swimming pools, and by contact form droplets of contaminated upper respiratory tracks. Most viral conjunctivitis is a greatly contagious infection brought about by adenoviruses or enteroviruses. Viral conjunctivitis, though typically benign and self-limited, is likely to pursue a longer course than acute bacterial conjunctivitis, lasting for nearly 2-4 weeks. Viral infection is characterized typically by an acute follicular conjunctival reaction and preauricular adenopathy. Corneal lesions are typically connected with the ensuing growth of inflammation (with edema, redness, and more). The most typical are corneal abrasions, which are restricted to the surface of the eye and brought about by microtraumas, even banal ones, like a fingernail scratching the eye or the application of contact lenses.
The soaring R&D activities are set to drive the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market. The higher occurrence rate of viral conjunctivitis, typically caused by adenoviruses or enteroviruses, in countries like the U.S., Germany, Australia, Brazil, and Japan are set to propel the growth of the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market during the forecast period 2022-2027. This represents the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Industry Outlook
The report: “Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market Forecast (2022-2027)”, by Industry ARC, covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market.
- Geographically, North America Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market accounted for the highest revenue share in 2021 and it is poised to dominate the market over the period 2022-2027 owing to the surging contribution by the U.S. and the soaring occurrence of viral conjunctivitis caused by adenoviruses or enteroviruses in the North American region.
- Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market growth is being driven by the expanding accessibility of the diagnostic test for the detection of viral conjunctivitis typically caused by adenoviruses or enteroviruses, heightening awareness and proliferating spending on healthcare. However, the soaring cost, suitable diagnosis, and reduced awareness pertaining to progressive technologies are some of the major factors hampering the growth of the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market.
- Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market Detailed Analysis of the Strength, Weaknesses, and Opportunities of the prominent players operating in the market will be provided in the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market repor
Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market: Market Share (%) by Region, 2021
The Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market based on drug type can be further segmented into FST-100 and APD-209. The FST-100 Segment held the largest market share in 2021. This growth is owing to the development of this medication by Foresight Biotherapeutics Inc. Foresight Biotherapeutics Inc. began the establishment of treatment and therapies in ophthalmology and otolaryngology like the FST-100. Nearly all viral conjunctivitis is caused by adenoviruses or enteroviruses. The soaring demand for approved medications for the treatment of bacterial and viral eye infections is further propelling the growth of the FST-100 segment.
Furthermore, the APD-209 segment is estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR of 5.4% during the forecast period 2022-2027 owing to the development of APD-209 by the firm Adenovir Pharma AB and is undergoing phase II clinical trial with the majority of viral conjunctivitis being caused by adenoviruses or enteroviruses.
Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market Segment Analysis – By Distribution Channel:
The Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market based on distribution channels can be further segmented into Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies. The Hospital Pharmacies Segment held the largest market share in 2021. This growth is owing to the surging application of hospital pharmacies attributed to their advantages like enhancing the continuity of care, medication adherence, and decreased transmission. A majority of viral conjunctivitis cases are caused by adenoviruses or enteroviruses. The introduction of specialty pharmacies by hospitals is further propelling the growth of this segment.
Furthermore, the Online Pharmacies segment is estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR of 4.9% during the forecast period 2022-2027 owing to the soaring inclination of patients towards the effortless access of online pharmacies with just the click of a button to purchase the medications for viral conjunctivitis caused by adenoviruses or enteroviruses prescribed by the physician accompanied with discounts and patient-friendly home-delivery options.
Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market Segment Analysis – By Geography:
The Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market based on geography can be further segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and Rest of the World. North America (Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market) held the largest share with 38% of the overall market in 2021. The growth of this region is owing to the surging R&D activities and the proliferating focus on novelties in the North American region. Most viral conjunctivitis is caused by adenoviruses or enteroviruses. The existence of the U.S. as the market with the most potential for viral conjunctivitis medications is further propelling the growth of the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market in the North American region.
Furthermore, the Asia-Pacific region is estimated to be the region with the fastest CAGR rate over the forecast period 2022-2027. This growth is owing to factors like the increasing predominance of viral conjunctivitis caused by adenoviruses or enteroviruses and the expanding population in emerging economies like India and China in the Asia-Pacific region. The existence of principal industry players, accelerated development of the pharmaceutical industry and the burgeoning awareness regarding viral conjunctivitis treatments and medications are further fuelling the progress of the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market in the Asia-Pacific region.
Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market Drivers
Increasing Predominance Of Viral Conjunctivitis Is Projected To Drive The Growth Of Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market:
Viral Conjunctivitis is caused by adenoviruses and enteroviruses. As per the Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (CDC), people frequently term conjunctivitis “pink eye” owing to it bringing about the white of the eye to take on a pink or red color with symptoms usually involving redness or swelling of the white of the eye. Most cases of viral conjunctivitis are gentle. The infection will typically clear up in 7 to 14 days without treatment and without any long-term results. However, in certain cases, viral conjunctivitis can take 2 to 3 weeks or more to resolve. A doctor can prescribe antiviral medication to treat more severe forms of conjunctivitis. For example, for conjunctivitis brought about by the herpes simplex virus or varicella-zoster virus, antibiotics will not enhance viral conjunctivitis. These medications are not efficient against viruses. Viral conjunctivitis is a common ocular ailment in the U.S. and across the world. Owing to it being common, and numerous cases not being brought to medical attention, precise statistics on the frequency of the ailment are inaccessible. An approximate 6 million novel cases of viral conjunctivitis happen yearly in the U.S. Viral infection repeatedly happens in epidemics within families, schools, offices, shipyards, athletic teams, residential communities, and military organizations. The increasing predominance of viral conjunctivitis is therefore fuelling the growth of the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market during the forecast period 2022-2027.
Proliferating Applications Of Antiviral Medications For Treatment Of Viral Conjunctivitis Are Expected To Boost The Market Growth:
Most cases of viral conjunctivitis are brought about by adenovirus. Viral conjunctivitis accounts for most infectious conjunctivitis, being responsible for up to 75% of cases. Viral conjunctivitis is one of the most typical ailments witnessed in ophthalmic emergency departments. Still, no established treatment exists. Recently, antiviral medicines have been launched into clinical practice. Presently, aciclovir, trifluridine, and valaciclovir are typically utilized as antiviral agents to treat herpesvirus contaminations. Cidofovir has been utilized favorably to treat certain cases of adenoviral conjunctivitis, though toxicity has also been recorded. Interestingly, the majority of the antiviral medications established are utilized to treat herpesvirus contaminations, while less advancement has been made in the field of adenoviral contaminations. The proliferating applications of antiviral medications for the treatment of viral conjunctivitis are therefore driving the growth of the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market during the forecast period 2022-2027.
Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market Challenges
Complications Of Viral Conjunctivitis Are Hampering The Growth Of The Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market:
Conjunctivitis may occur with the common cold and other systemic viral infections (specifically measles, but also chickenpox, rubella, and mumps). Localized viral conjunctivitis without systemic manifestations normally results from adenoviruses (up to 90% of viral conjunctivitis) and at times enteroviruses or herpes simplex virus (1.3 to 4.8% of viral conjunctivitis). Viral conjunctivitis may be owing to systemic or localised contamination. Viral conjunctivitis is usually brought about by systemic contamination by adenovirus and is related to respiratory tract symptoms. It can also be owing to local infection by herpes simplex, herpes varicella-zoster virus (cause of chickenpox and shingles), picornavirus (enterovirus 70, coxsackie A 24), poxvirus (molluscum contagiosum) and human immunodeficiency virus. Epidemic keratoconjunctivitis (EKC) is an explosive form of viral conjunctivitis and keratitis. The characteristics involve:
- A sensation of a foreign body
- Multiple corneal infiltrates
- Inability to open the eyes spontaneously
- Loss of visual acuity
Nearly all forms of conjunctivitis are self-limiting, however, in some cases, serious complexities may happen. Pain, loss of vision, or photophobia need an instantaneous referral to an ophthalmologist.
Complications from viral conjunctivitis involve:
- Bacterial conjunctivitis
- Chronic redness, discharge, and irritation
These issues are thus hampering the growth of the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market.
Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Industry Outlook:
Novel Product launches, R&D activities for effective treatment and diagnostic tests, improving distribution networks through strategic partnerships and alliances with regional distributors, mergers and acquisitions, collaborations, novel product developments, and other industry developments are key strategies adopted by players in the Viral Conjunctivitis Pipeline Drugs Market. Key companies in this market are:
- Daiichi Sankyo Company
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Natco Pharma
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Panoptes Pharma GES.M.B.H.
- Shire Plc.
- Novartis AG
- NovaBay Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Adenovir Pharma AB
- In May 2021, Teva Pharmaceuticals, a U.S. affiliate of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. declared the introduction of its 250 mg and 500 mg strength generic Erythromycin tablets—a therapeutic equivalent for the reference listed drug (RLD) Erythromycin Tablets from Arbor Pharmaceuticals. Teva generic Erythromycin tablets are indicated to treat an assortment of bacterial infections and to avoid initial or repeating attacks of rheumatic fever in patients allergic to penicillin. With approximately 550 generic medicines accessible, Teva has the biggest portfolio of FDA-approved generic products on the market and holds the leading position in first-to-file opportunities, with nearly 100 pending first-to-files in the U.S.
- In September 2020, Teva Respiratory, LLC., a U.S. affiliate of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd declared the introduction of AirDuo® Digihaler® (fluticasone propionate and salmeterol) inhalation powder and ArmonAir® Digihaler® (fluticasone propionate) inhalation powder, two digital maintenance inhalers for patients with asthma. AirDuo® Digihaler® is a prescription medication utilized to regulate symptoms of asthma and to avoid symptoms like wheezing in people 12 years of age and older. ArmonAir® Digihaler® is a prescription medication for the long-term treatment of asthma in patients 12 years and older.
- In May 2020, TRUXIMA is also presently accessible for the treatment of Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (GPA) (Wegener’s Granulomatosis) and Microscopic Polyangiitis (MPA). Teva and Celltrion Healthcare declared the introduction of TRUXIMA® (rituximab-abbs) Injection for Rheumatoid Arthritis, the Only Biosimilar to Rituxan® (rituximab) accessible in the U.S. for this indication. Celltrion Healthcare and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. Enrolled in an exclusive partnership in October 2016 for Teva to commercialize TRUXIMA in the U.S. and Canada.
Report Code: HCR 0251
Report Code: HCR 0110
Report Code: HCR 0209
For more Lifesciences and Healthcare Market reports, please click here