Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Overview
The Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Size is estimated to reach $14.9 billion by 2027 and is poised to grow at a CAGR of 4.5% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. Hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) are one of the most common causes of death worldwide. Nosocomial infections or Healthcare-Associated Infections are other terms used for it. The risk factors for HAI include immunosuppression, older age, length of stay in the hospital, multiple underlying comorbidities, frequent visits to healthcare facilities, mechanical ventilatory support, recent invasive procedures, indwelling devices, and stay in an intensive care unit (ICU). Catheter-associated urinary tract infections, central line-associated bloodstream infections, surgical site infections, ventilator-associated pneumonia, hospital-acquired pneumonia, and Clostridium difficile infections are the major six types of Hospital-acquired infections. Productive cough, shortness of breath, stomach discomfort, rebound tenderness, changed mental status, palpitations, suprapubic pain, polyuria, dysuria, and costovertebral angle tenderness are all signs of Hospital-acquired infections. Each year the top 5 healthcare-associated infections result in about $9.8 billion in costs, with surgical site infections leading the cause as per a research article present in National Center for Biotechnology Information in May 2022. To lower the occurrence of hospital-acquired illnesses, several hospitals have implemented infection tracking and surveillance systems as well as robust preventative methods. Various drugs like antibiotics drugs, antifungal drugs, antiviral drugs, and antiinfective agents are used to treat this type of infection. Furthermore, Research and Development by key market players and FDA-approved drugs such as Recarbrio (a combination of imipenem-cilastatin and relebactam) treat hospital-acquired bacterial pneumonia and ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia (HABP/VABP) in patients 18 years of age and older. Such newly developed drugs by key market players help to drive the Hospital Infection Therapeutics Industry over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Report Coverage
The report: “Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Forecast (2022-2027)", by Industry ARC covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market.
By Drug Type: Antibiotics Drugs, Antifungal Drugs, Antiviral Drugs, and Others.
By Infection Type: Bloodstream Infections, Pneumonia, Surgical Site Infections, Urinary Tract Infections, Gastrointestinal Disorders, and Other Hospital Infections.
By Geography: North America (U.S., Canada, Mexico), Europe (Germany, United Kingdom (U.K.), France, Italy, Spain, Russia, and the Rest of Europe), Asia Pacific (China, Japan India, South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand, and Rest of Asia Pacific), South America (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, and Rest of South America), and Rest of the World (the Middle East, and Africa).
- Geographically, North America held a dominant market share in the year 2021, owing to advanced health infrastructure and the presence of key market players in this region, are the major factors responsible for the growth of the Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Share in this region.
- The Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market is predicted to increase owing to innovative drugs launched by key market players and research and development. However, the lack of skilled labor and the high rate of mortality owing to hospital infections may limit market growth over the forecast period 2022-2027.
- A detailed analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats will be provided in the Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Report.
Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market: Market Share (%) by Region, 2021
For More Details on This Report - Request for Sample
Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Segment Analysis- By Drug Type
The Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market based on drug type can be further segmented into Antibiotics Drugs, Antifungal Drugs, Antiviral Drugs, and Others. The Antibiotics Drugs segment held a dominant market share in the year 2021 and is estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR rate of 5.1% over the forecast period 2022-2027. This is owing to the majority of Hospital Acquired Infections caused by bacteria. Hence, for any type of hospital-acquired infection, antibacterial therapy is the first line of defense. Antibiotics must be administered to all patients infected with gram-positive and gram-negative pathogens. In June 2022, FDA cleared the VITEK 2 AST-Gram Negative Omadacycline, a new antibiotic for the treatment of community-acquired bacterial pneumonia (CABP) and acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSI). Owing to such innovative drugs launched by key market players help to fuel the Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Share over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Segment Analysis- By Infection Type
Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market based on the infection type can be further segmented into Bloodstream Infections, Pneumonia, Surgical Site Infections, Urinary Tract Infections, Gastrointestinal Disorders, and Other Hospital Infections. The Surgical Site Infections (SSI) segment held a dominant market share in the year 2021. Surgical Site Infections occurred in 2% to 4% of all patients who undergo inpatient surgical procedures according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. According to Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ) data, nearly 10 million patients have surgical operations as inpatients each year, accounting for more than a quarter of all hospital stays which increases the risk of infection. Such a large number of Surgical Site Infection cases aid the growth of the Hospital Infection Therapeutics market size and also Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Share.
However, the Urinary Tract Infections segment is estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR rate of 5.3% over the forecast period 2022-2027. As Urinary Tract Infection is caused at any life stage from children, and adults to elderly people. Women a person with a urinary catheter is at high risk for Urinary Tract Infection. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Urinary Tract Infection is responsible for 13,000 deaths each year, and approximately 12%-16% of adult hospital inpatients will have an indwelling urinary catheter (IUC) at some time during their hospitalization. Such high chances of Urinary Tract Infections assist to grow Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Share over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Segment Analysis- By Geography
The Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market based on Geography can be further segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Rest of the World. North America held a dominant market share of 35% in the year 2021. This is the result of the high prevalence of Hospital Acquired Infections, an increase in the demand for antifungal drugs and antiviral drugs, and the launch of novel Hospital Acquired Therapeutic drugs in this region. Also, the strong dominance of key market players such as GlaxoSmithKline Plc, F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG., Allergan Plc, and Bayer AG is further anticipated to grow the Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Size in this region.
Furthermore, Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR rate of 5.5% over the forecast period 2022-2022. This is owing to hospital-associated infections (HAI) being one of the significant causes of morbidity and mortality in Asia-Pacific according to the report Regional Strategy for Patient Safety (2016–2025), WHO South-East Asia. Also, according to the Asian Journal of Research in Infectious Diseases research published in January 2022, most hospital-acquired infections are found in low-income countries. According to WHO data bloodstream infections are increasing in Asian countries Bangladesh, Nepal, India, and Sri Lanka. In India, the percentage of bloodstream infections is raised by 4% year on year in 2020 which is 64.66. Such increasing prevalence of Hospital Acquired Infections fuels the Asia-Pacific Hospital Infection Therapeutics market size over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Drivers
Growing Demand for Anti-bacterial Drugs Helps to Drive Market
The increasing prevalence of the infectious disease worldwide and the rapid increase in patient population is responsible for increased demand in the anti-bacterial drug market. Also, the nature of antibiotic resistance of bacteria development of more effective antibiotics has emerged. According to ReAct group, international independent networks to articulate the complex nature of antibiotic resistance and its drivers, about 1.27 million deaths result from antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections in 2020, and 1 in 5 deaths from resistant bacteria occurs in children under 5. Such demand for anti-bacterial drugs helps to drive the Hospital Infection Therapeutics Industry.
The Growing Need for Hospitalisation is propelling Market Growth
The American Hospital Association conducts an annual survey of hospitals in the United States in 2022, there are a total of 6093 hospitals in the United States. Also, according to the National Health Statistics Report published by the Center for Disease Prevention and Control in January 2022, 35% of patients hospitalized with pneumonia died either in the hospital or within 1 year of discharge. According to European Center for Disease Prevention and Control, in January 2022, influenza was reported in six countries with a 10% positivity threshold in sentinel primary care: Armenia (78%), Israel (68%), Sweden (36%), France (33%) the Republic of Moldova (24%), and Albania (18%). In 2021, several countries in Africa and Asia reported a cholera outbreak 2021, on 23 November 2021, approximately 13,162 suspected cholera cases, including 101 deaths, have been reported worldwide. Such prevalence of disease and increasing need for hospitalization helps to grow the Hospital Infection Therapeutics Industry over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market Challenges
Lack of Skilled Technicians is Hampering Market Growth
The chain of hospitals, clinical laboratories, and diagnostic centers is spread all over the globe. With the increasing global population, there is an increased load on the healthcare system to provide efficient service. Some factors slugging growth of healthcare sector such as high investment on infrastructure, equipment’s and machinery, also lack of skilled professional is one of the major challenges. According to the WHO, the number of healthcare workers around the globe would reduce by 12.9 million by 2035. The global shortage of healthcare personnel is linked to several factors including an aging workforce, a decline in the number of persons joining the profession, early retirements, insufficient training, and increased demands from a growing and aging population, which hamper market growth over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Hospital Infection Therapeutics Industry Outlook
Product launches, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and geographical expansions are key strategies adopted by players in the Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market. The top 10 companies in the Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market are:
1. Sanofi S.A.
2. GlaxoSmithKline plc
3. AstraZeneca plc
4. Merck & Co., Inc.
5. Pfizer, Inc.
6. Actavis plc
7. Bayer AG
8. Johnson & Johnson
9. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
10. Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- In April 2022, GlaxoSmithKline plc and Sierra Oncology, Inc signed an agreement under which GSK will acquire Sierra Oncology, a California-based, late-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on targeted therapies for the treatment of rare forms of cancer, for an approximate total equity value of $1.9 billion. Sierra Oncology’s differentiated momelotinib has the potential to address the critical unmet medical needs of myelofibrosis patients with anemia.
- In September 2021, Sanofi signed a definitive merger agreement with Kadmon Holdings, Inc; a biopharmaceutical company that discovers develops, and markets transformative therapies for disease areas of significant unmet medical needs. The acquisition supports Sanofi’s strategy to continue to grow its General Medicines core assets and will immediately add Rezurock™(belumosudil) FDA-approved, for chronic graft-versus-host disease (cGVHD) to its transplant portfolio.
- In July 2021, AstraZeneca, a global, science-led biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development, and commercialization of prescription medicines in Oncology, Rare Diseases, and BioPharmaceuticals, including Cardiovascular, Renal & Metabolism, and Respiratory & Immunology; completed the acquisition of Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. The total consideration paid to the Alexion shareholders was approximately $13.3bn in cash and 236,321,411 new AstraZeneca shares (approximately 94% of which will be represented by new AstraZeneca American Depositary Shares (ADSs)).
Report Code: HCR 96604
Report Code: HCR 0022
Report Code: HCR 39388
For more Lifesciences and Healthcare Market reports, please click here
1. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market - Overview
1.1 Definitions and Scope
2. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market - Executive Summary
3. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market - Comparative Analysis
3.1 Company Benchmarking
3.2 Global Financial Analysis
3.3 Market Share Analysis
3.4 Patent Analysis
3.5 Pricing Analysis
4. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market - Start-up Companies Scenario Premium
4.1 Key Start-up Company Analysis by
4.1.3 Venture Capital and Funding Scenario
5. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market – Industry Market Entry Scenario Premium Premium
5.1 Regulatory Framework Overview
5.2 New Business and Ease of Doing Business Index
5.3 Case Studies of Successful Ventures
6. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market - Forces
6.1 Market Drivers
6.2 Market Constraints/Challenges
6.3 Porters Five Force Model
6.3.1 Bargaining power of suppliers
6.3.2 Bargaining powers of customers
6.3.3 Threat of new entrants
6.3.4 Rivalry among existing players
6.3.5 Threat of substitutes
7. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market – Strategic Analysis
7.1 Value Chain Analysis
7.2 Opportunities Analysis
7.3 Market Life Cycle
8. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market – By Drug Type
8.1 Antibiotics Drugs
8.2 Antifungal Drugs
8.3 Antiviral Drugs
9. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market – By Infection Type
9.1 Bloodstream Infections
9.3 Surgical Site Infections
9.4 Urinary Tract Infections
9.5 Gastrointestinal Disorders
9.6 Other Hospital Infections
10. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market - By Geography
10.1 North America
10.2.7 Rest of Europe
10.3.4 South Korea
10.3.5 Australia & New Zealand
10.3.6 Rest of Asia-Pacific
10.4 South America
10.4.5 Rest of South America
10.5 Rest of the World
10.5.1 Middle East
11. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market - Entropy
12. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market – Industry/Segment Competition Landscape Premium
12.1 Market Share Analysis
12.1.1 Global Market Share – Key Companies
12.1.2 Market Share by Region – Key companies
12.1.3 Market Share by Countries – Key Companies
12.2 Competition Matrix
12.3 Best Practices for Companies
13. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market – Key Company List by Country Premium Premium
14. Hospital Infection Therapeutics Market - Company Analysis
14.1 Company 1
14.2 Company 2
14.3 Company 3
14.4 Company 4
14.5 Company 5
14.6 Company 6
14.7 Company 7
14.8 Company 8
14.9 Company 9
14.10 Company 10
* "Financials would be provided to private companies on best-efforts basis.".