Europe Bakery Market Overview
Europe Bakery Market Size is estimated to reach $272 billion by
2027 and is poised to grow at a CAGR of 3.2% over the forecast
period of 2022-2027. Europe is one of the largest markets for bakery and bakery
products. In Europe, loaves of bread and biscuits are the two bakery products
that are most frequently consumed, however, the demand for other bakery goods
including cakes, cookies, confectionery, sandwich slices, frozen bread, dessert
cakes, flour, and pastries is also rising. The European bakery market is driven
by a number of trends, including gluten-free, whole grain, ancient grain, and
additive-free bread products. Also, the factors such as increased demand for ready-to-eat
convenient items, availability of nutritional bakery products at low cost, and a
variety of different structures and taste profiles of bakery items drive the growth
of the Europe bakery industry.
Bakers of Europe focused on sustainable bakery products, and the use
of organic, and additive-free ingredients to the growing demand for such
products by consumers. For instance, in January 2022, International Taste
Solutions (ITS) developed Vegan Boost – a new range of natural flavor enhancers
that replicate the indulgent characteristics of traditional bakery products in
dairy- and egg-free alternatives. Such innovative product launches and rapid
expansion of the bakery business in Europe fuels the growth of the Europe
Bakery Industry over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Europe Bakery Market Report Coverage
The report: “Europe Bakery Market Forecast (2022-2027)", by
Industry ARC covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments in the Europe
- The growth of this region is owing to the existence of dominant market players like AGROFERT AS, Alpha Baking Co. Inc., Associated British Foods plc, Bakers Delight Holdings Ltd., Britannia Industries Ltd., Dr. Schar AG Spa, and others. With growing concern about the environment and health among consumers, many industry players focus on sustainable product launches and practices. For instance, in October 2021, Dr. Schär worked with Niederwieser Spa to create the first certified plastic for gluten-free bread packaging in the world. Through this collaboration, Dr. Schär, with its leading gluten-free brand Schär, trusts in the expertise of the food packaging specialist Niederwieser Spa to jointly offer an innovative and sustainable packaging solution. In May 2021, Mondelez International acquired Chipita S.A., a high-growth key player in the Central and Eastern European croissants and baked snacks category. Such innovative product launches with sustainable practices drive the growth of the Europe Bakery Market Size.
- The Europe Bakery Market is predicted to grow owing to the rising prominence of in-store bakeries in supermarkets. Supermarket chains are rapidly developing in European countries the supermarket chains such as Tesco plc, Carrefour, Lidl, Metro Group and others are dominant in the European market according to the retail index. Such growing dominance of supermarkets in the European region and growing visits to such supermarkets contribute to the growth of the Europe bakery market size. According to the report by McKinsey sales from supermarkets and other grocery stores increased in March 2020 increased by about 20 percent. Also, as per supermarket news, Fresh Food Trends Report sales in the perimeter category increased by 70% in 2021. Such rising growth of supermarkets contributes to the growth of the Europe Bakery Industry over the forecast period 2022-2027. However, the growing concern about high-calorie baked food and obesity hamper the market growth.
- A detailed analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats will be provided in the Europe Bakery Market Report.
Europe Bakery Market: Market Share (%) by Product Type, 2021
For More Details On this report - Request For Sample
Europe Bakery Market Segment Analysis- by Product Type
The Europe Bakery Market based on the product type can be further segmented into Baked Goods (Baked Desserts (Cakes and Pastries, Pies & Tarts, and Others), Bread & Rolls, Biscuits (Savory Biscuits & Crackers, Sweet Biscuits), Pizzas (Fresh, Frozen/Chilled)), Breakfast Cereals (Hot Cereals, Ready to Eat Cereals). The Baked Goods segment held a dominant market share in the year 2021 and is estimated to grow with the CAGR rate of 3.8% over the forecast period 2022-2027. This is owing to the growing consumption of baked goods and increasing demand for bread and rolls in this region. Also, bread has importance in European culture as it plays an integral role in daily life. According to the Federation of Bakers Ltd, nearly 39 million tonnes of bread, viennoiserie, and patisserie were consumed overall in the EU 27 countries. With an annual consumption of roughly 80 kg, Germans consume the most bread, while the UK and Ireland are near the bottom of the list. Also increasing demand for other baked goods such as pizza drive the growth of the Europe bakery market size. As per green seeds, international food and drink sales and marketing group, in Europe French people eat most chilled pizza accounting for 36.5% of the market. Such increasing demand for baked foods in the European region fuels the growth of the European Bakery Market Size over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Europe Bakery Market Segment Analysis- by Category
Europe Bakery Market based on the category can be further
segmented into Fresh Bakery Product, Frozen Bakery Products. The Fresh bakery product
segment held a dominant market share in the year 2021. This is the result of
the increasing consumption of fresh bakery products on daily basis. Products
like bread, confectionery, cookies, sandwich slices, dessert cakes, flour, pastries
and others. As increasing consumer preference toward fresh bakery products.
According to a Eurostat report published in 2020, The three nations that
consume the freshest bread and other bakery goods are the UK (4.8 million
tonnes), Germany (4.6 million tonnes), and Spain (3 million tonnes), accounting
for a combined 44% of global consumption. Such increasing consumption of fresh
bakery products drives the growth of the Europe Bakery Market Share.
However, Frozen bakery product is estimated
to grow with the fastest CAGR rate of 3.6% over the forecast period
2022-2027. Consumers' hectic lifestyles have helped the baking sector expand and
create new products that can meet the rising consumer demand. Frozen bakery
food requires less time and effort hence consumers growing demand for such
convenience foods boost the demand for frozen bakery goods. In October 2021,
frozen bakery products account for 80% of the total amount of manufactured
products in Europe, as per DSM, The Future of Food Survey. Such growing demand
for frozen bakery products fuels the growth of the Europe Bakery Market Share
over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Europe Bakery Market Segment Analysis- by Country
The Europe Bakery Market based on the country can be further
segmented into the U.K, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, and Others. Germany
held a dominant market share of 36% in the year 2021. This is owing to the growing
popularity of a variety of bakery products in Germany. According to research
conducted by BBM magazine, there are more than 3 thousand different types of bakery
products present in German bakeries. As per the food-navigator report, 28% of
Germans eat fresh bread and baked goods, an average of two to six times per
week. Such growing consumption of bakery products in Germany drives the growth
of the Europe Bakery Market.
However, the U.K is estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR rate of 3.9% over the forecast period 2022-2027. This is the result of the growing number of bakeries in this country. Also, as per Nation Master statistics, the United Kingdom imports mixes for doughs for bread, pastry, biscuit, and others for $19.33 billion. According to the Federation of Bakers, total volumes of 4 billion units which is equivalent to 11 million loaves and packs sold per day. Such a growing number of bakery industries and products sold fuels the growth of the Europe Bakery Market over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Europe Bakery Market Drivers
Growing Demand for Plant-Based Bakery Products is Driving the Market Growth.
The increasing vegan population and the
growing trend for vegans across Europe create demand for plant-based bakery
products in the Europe bakery industry. As per research conducted by Berlin-based
plant-based supermarket chain Veganz in 2020, the number of vegans in Europe
has doubled from 1.3 million to the current estimated figure of 2.6 million,
representing 3.2% of the population. Owing to such rising demand for vegan
bakery products key manufacturers launched various alternatives for cakes,
pastries, cookies, confectionery, sandwich slices, frozen bread, dessert cakes,
flour, and pastries that are totally plant-based. For instance, in February
2022, Baker & Baker, the European bakery products manufacturer, launched its
first range of vegan products. The new Baker & Baker vegan range includes
cookies, doughnuts, and muffins. Baker & Baker is one of the largest
manufacturers of branded bakery products in Europe, with an annual turnover in
excess of €400m. Such a growing vegan population and innovative product launch
by key market players in this category fuel the growth of the Europe Bakery
Increasing Working Women is Positively Aiding Market Growth.
As per European
Union Eurostat report published in 2022, the share of working women in the
European Union population is 229 million, which is 51% of the total women
population in 2021. Such growing shares of working women and their busy
lifestyle drive the habit to eat outdoor, as they do not have enough time to
prepare breakfast and food most of them purchase bakery goods. As per prove it:
The Great British Bakery Report, neatly 23% of the population in the U.K., eat
more bakery products like bread, confectionery, cookies, sandwich slices, dessert cakes, flour,
pastries, and others than ever. Such a growing number of working women population and
growing demand for bakery goods propel the growth of Europe’s Bakery Market
Share over the forecast period 2022-2027.
Europe Bakery Market Challenges
Growing Health Concern & Raising Obesity May Stymie Market Growth.
The growing number of overweight people and increasing concern about health slow down-market growth. As per data published by Eurostat, more than half of adults in the European Union are overweight. The proportion of overweight adults varies across the EU Member States, with the highest shares recorded in Croatia and Malta, where 65% of adults were considered overweight in 2019. Increased weight with the intake of high-calorie food is the main concern in the population as it creates further health complications. According to the diabetic atlas organization, IDF projects that diabetes prevalence (9.2%) and the number of people with diabetes (61 million in 2021) in the EUR Region will increase by 13% by 2045. Such an increasing number of obese and diabetic population may stymie the growth of the Europe Bakery Market.
Europe Bakery Market Industry Outlook:
Product launches, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and geographical expansions are key strategies adopted by players in the Europe Bakery Market. The top 10 companies in the Europe Bakery Market are:
- AGROFERT AS
- Alpha Baking Co. Inc.
- Associated British Foods plc
- Bakers Delight Holdings Ltd.
- Britannia Industries Ltd.
- Dr. Schar AG Spa
- European Gourmet Bakery
- Finsbury Food Group Plc
- Flowers Foods Inc.
- General Mills Inc.
- In June 2022, AGROFERT AS offers an acquisition deal to Borealis, one of the world’s leading providers of advanced and circular polyolefin solutions and a European market leader in base chemicals, fertilizers, and the mechanical recycling of plastics. The offer values the business on an enterprise value basis at EUR 810 million. By adding Borealis’ production assets in Austria, Germany, and France as well as a comprehensive sales and distribution network utilizing the Danube River, this business combination would well complement AGROFERT’s existing capabilities in serving its customers across Europe.
- In May 2021, Bakers Delight Holdings Ltd announced a strategic partnership with Sisense, the leading AI-driven platform for analytics, to help capture, surface, and analyze its data as part of its digital transformation journey. Bakers Delight has more than 700 locations across the USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. The company chose to partner with Sisense due to its innovative technology business intelligence solutions, its AI-driven analytics platform that are deeply embedded for a customized experience, and its global standing as analytics and BI visionaries.
- In May 2021, Alpha Baking Co. Inc, expanded its natural oven bakery line with the launch of keto-friendly hot dog buns. The product lineup also includes bread and hamburger buns, which debuted in 2020. The new hot dog buns contain 26 grams of carbs and 25 grams of fiber per serving and are made without any artificial sweeteners or flavors.
Report Code: FBR 81348
Report Code: FBR 51374
For more Food and Beverage Market reports, please click here