Citric Acid Market Overview
The Citric Acid Market size is estimated to reach $5.2 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 4.7% during the forecast period 2022-2027. Citric Acid is a weak organic acid appearing organically in citrus fruits. Citric Acid is a stinging-tasting crystalline acid existing in the juice of lemons and additional sour fruits. It is prepared commercially by the fermentation of sugar and utilized as a seasoning and setting agent. A buffer solution of citric acid may be made by including trisodium citrate, a salt of citric acid, in the solution. The citric acid buffer solution is the most excellent if the desired pH is in the 3 to 6.2 range. When citric acid is heated to 175 °C, it is partly transformed to aconitic acid by removal of water, and to acetone dicarboxylic acid by losing carbon dioxide and water. At temperatures above 175 °C, citric acid produces an oily distillate, which becomes settled as itaconic acid. Citric acid is an organic acid typically utilized as a chelating agent, a buffering agent, for pH adjustment and derivatization. The soaring high demand for citric acid in food and beverages utilized as a supplement to conserve food is set to drive the Citric Acid Market. The functions of citric acid as a pH control agent and as a chelating agent which enhances the activity of antioxidants in food preservation is set to propel the growth of the Citric Acid Market during the forecast period 2022-2027. This represents the Citric Acid Industry Outlook.
The report: “Citric Acid Market Forecast (2022-2027)”, by Industry ARC, covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the Citric Acid Market.
By Form: Liquid, Powder.
By Grade: Food Grafe, Industrial Grade, and Pharmaceutical Grade.
By Application: Food And Beverage (Bakery, Confectionery, Dairy, Beverages, Others), Pharmaceutical, Personal Care, Others.
By Geography: North America (the U.S, Canada, and Mexico), South America (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Rest of South America), Europe (Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain, Russia, and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia & New Zealand, and Rest of Asia-Pacific), and Rest Of The World (Middle East, Africa).
- Geographically, Asia-Pacific Citric Acid Market accounted for the highest revenue share in 2021 and it is poised to dominate the market over the period 2022-2027 owing to the lower production costs, its role as a chelating agent, and effortless accessibility to raw materials in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Citric Acid Market growth is being driven by the initiation of progressive applications in pharmaceuticals and canned food making firms and as a complexing and chelating agent in metal treatment. However, the huge dosage of citric acid may raise the toxicity of the body, bringing about kidney issues, nerve damage, and abrupt injury and these are some of the major factors hampering the growth of the Citric Acid Market.
- Citric Acid Market Detailed Analysis on the Strength, Weakness, and Opportunities of the prominent players operating in the market will be provided in the Citric Acid Market report.
Citric Acid Market Share, By Application, 2021(%):
Citric Acid Market Segment Analysis – By Form:
The Citric Acid Market based on the form can be further segmented into Liquid and Powder. The Powder segment held the largest market share in 2021. This growth is owing to the increased application of powder citric acid as a substitute for lemon juice or vinegar in culinary preparations. It is utilized as a chelating agent to remove and avert the development of limescale in evaporators and boilers are further propelling the growth of this segment. The extensive utilization of citric acid powder as a flavoring agent and preservative in food and beverage applications is further propelling the growth of this segment.
Furthermore, the Liquid segment is estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR of 5.4% during the forecast period 2022-2027 owing to the upsurge in the usage of liquid citric acid in an assortment of food and dairy products owing to its advantageous characteristics acidifying agents, texture modification, and flavor enhancement in conjunction with citric acid being utilized as a chelating agent.
Citric Acid Market Segment Analysis – By Application:
The Citric Acid Market based on the application can be further segmented into Food And Beverage, Pharmaceutical, Personal Care, and Others. The Food And Beverage Segment held the largest market share in 2021. This growth is owing to the soaring application of citric acid in dietary additives and ice creams. Citric acid is also utilized as a chelating agent. The extensive application of citric acid as a flavoring agent and preservative is further propelling the growth of this segment.
Furthermore, the Pharmaceuticals segment is estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR of 5.6% during the forecast period 2022-2027 owing to the surging application of citric acid to regulate the pH value in medications and produce salt derivatives of minerals and metals. Apart from its usage as a chelating agent, citric acid finds application in antacids and denitrifies owing to the effervescent effect it produces upon integration with carbonates or bicarbonates, thereby further propelling the growth of the pharmaceuticals segment.
Citric Acid Market Segment Analysis – By Geography:
The Citric Acid Market based on geography can be further segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Rest of the World. Asia-Pacific (Citric Acid Market) held the largest share with 35% of the overall market in 2021. The growth of this region is owing to the increasing predominance of cardiovascular ailments. Citric acid is utilized as a decalcifying agent for the excised calcified human heart valves. Citric acid is utilized to assist in destroying harmful bacteria and contaminations on the surface of the skin that may be typical in people with diabetes, senior citizens, and people who smoke. Citric acid is also utilized as a chelating agent. These determinants are propelling the growth of the Citric Acid Market in the Asia-Pacific region.
Furthermore, the European region is estimated to be the region with the fastest CAGR rate over the forecast period 2022-2027. This growth is owing to factors like accelerated demand for citric acid in European countries like Germany, United Kingdom. Spain and Italy. The surging demand amidst food and pharma makers of citric acid owing to its reduced toxicity in conjunction with its usage as a chelating agent is further fuelling the progress of the Citric Acid Market in the European region.
Citric Acid Market Drivers
Advantages And Surging Applications Of Citric Acid Are Projected To Drive The Growth Of Citric Acid Market:
Citric acid produces an extensive series of metallic salts inclusive of complexes with copper, iron, manganese, magnesium, and calcium. These salts are the basis for their utilization as a sequestering agent in industrial techniques and as an anticoagulant blood preservative. It is also the base of its antioxidant characteristics in fats and oils where it minimizes metal-catalyzed oxidation by chelating traces of metals like iron. There are two constituents to its application as a flavoring. The first is owing to its acidity, which has little aftertaste and the second is its capability to improve additional flavors. Citric acid is regarded as a superior chelating agent. Limescale is eliminated from boilers and evaporators with the assistance of citric acid. Citric acid is utilized for softening water, which turns it effective in laundry detergents and soaps. It may also be utilized in shampoo for washing coloring and wax from the hair. These advantages and applications of citric acid are therefore fuelling the growth of the Citric Acid Market during the forecast period 2022-2027.
Positive Effects Of Citric Acid On The Environment Are Expected To Boost The Demand Of Citric Acid:
Citric acid may be applied as a chelating agent. If soil is very alkaline, citric acid may be utilized to increase the pH of the soil until it is more appropriate for plant development. In addition, at sites with lead adulteration, including citric acid boosts plant development, photosynthesis, and lead removal from adulterated soils. Presently, the only legal and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-authorized agent for curbing coqui frogs is citric acid. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has categorized citric acid as “Generally Recognized as Safe.” or “GRAS.” Citric acid cracks down rapidly when it comes in contact with organically appearing organisms discovered in surface water and soil and does not collect. According to the EPA “no significant adverse effects to humans or the environment are associated with the proper use of citric acid as a pesticide.” These kinds of positive effects of citric acid are driving the growth of the Citric Acid Market during the forecast period 2022-2027.
Citric Acid Market Challenges
Side Effects Of Citric Acid Are Challenging The Growth Of The Citric Acid Market:
The side effects connected with citric acid medicines or supplements are inclusive of the unsettled stomach, weakness or tiredness, light-headedness, diarrhea, nausea, and numbness in the hands or feet. Researchers pressurize for the greater investigation to be performed on the long-term effects of manufactured citric acid. Although manufactured citric acid is FDA-approved, certain researchers doubt the security of manufactured citric acid. It is wisdom to know about the possible side effects, particularly if there is an allergy or sensitivity to the fungi utilized in the production technique. Artificial citric acid is frequently prepared with GMO constituents and may be connected to mold reactions. These issues are hampering the growth of the Citric Acid Market.
Citric Acid Market - Landscape:
Expansion plans, efficient production standards, greater operational potentialities specifically with the plan and growth of specialized grades of citric acid and brand awareness are key strategies adopted by players in the Citric Acid Market. Key companies of this market are:
- Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM)
- Jungbunzlauer Suisse AG
- Cargill, Incorporated
- Foodchem International Corporation
- COFCO BIOCHEMICAL
- Tate & Lyle
- Hoffmann-La Roche AG
- Yixing Biochemical Co., Ltd.
- Jiangsu Gadot Nuobei Biochemical Co., Ltd.
- Weifang Ensign Industry Co., Ltd.
- In September 2021, Archer-Daniels-Midland Co (ADM) disclosed ADM Food Technology Co Ltd, a completely automatized flavor manufacture facility in Pinghu, Zhejiang Province, China. The novel facility characterizes the most recent in automatized flavor lines with progressive dosing technology and technologies to guarantee the effective administration of complicated techniques. The facility also possesses laboratories committed to flavor manufacture, taste design, and product growth.
- In January 2021, Archer-Daniels-Midland Company (ADM), declared the introduction of a tailor-made antibiotic reduction program advanced by Wisium, its premix and nourishment services business. The novel program consolidates Wisium's de medication solutions across all species, providing a complete path. Antibiotics are routinely utilized in animal nutrition for therapeutical reasons, and in some nations, as animal growth promoters (AGP). In sequence with the trend worldwide to control the overutilization of antibiotics as growth promoters, ADM is committed to keeping up animal health and well-being by way of organic nutritional solutions and inspiring the minimization of antibiotics in livestock farms.
- In May 2021, Tate & Lyle designed to extend its Promitor Soluble Fiber series. The extension perceives the introduction of two novel liquid variations of the series: Promitor Soluble Fiber W and Promitor Soluble Fiber 90L. These versions have been developed to bring about more effortlessness and affordability into including fiber in applications like confectionery, beverages, and bars.
Report Code: CMR 0508
Report Code: CMR 1218