The global Whey protein ingredients Market is estimated to surpass $13.5 billion mark by 2023 growing at an estimated CAGR of more than 6.5% during 2018 to 2023. Europe captures the dominant market share of 40%. Asia-pacific to lead with a projected 4.5% CAGR. Whey protein concentrate dominate the market with a share of 39.3% and estimated to generate a revenue $3,312m by 2023 growing at a CAGR of 8.3%. With increasing demand from food and beverages industry, the demand for whey protein ingredients is also increasing as they provide a concentrated source of protein for enriched nutritional, sensory and functional properties.
What are Whey Protein ingredients?
Whey is considered as a by-product of cheese-making process. It is the fluid that remains after milk has been curdled and strained. Whey proteins contain lactoferrin, natural growth factor, lactoperoxidase, and other minor proteins. Whey proteins includes proteins, minerals, vitamins, lactose, traces of fat. Whey proteins can be classified into three different types which are whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate and hydrolyzed whey protein.
Whey protein concentrate (WPC) contains lactose of 4-8%, fat, moisture, minerals and has protein concentration that vary between 25-89%. Whey protein isolate (WPI) contains 90-95% of protein and contains little or no lactose and also very low in fat.
What are the major applications for Whey protein ingredients?
They are several potential health benefits with whey protein. Some components can give protection for some types of cancers. Peptides can protect from hypertension and have anti-inflammatory properties. Whey proteins are suitable in sports drinks because they contain amino acids that assist both as an energy source, protein source and for muscle building. Some of the common applications for whey proteins are protein beverages and bars, confectionary and bakery products, nutritional food products, protein bars, protein beverages, sports and medical nutrition products, protein beverages, infant formula, protein supplementation products and others.
Market Research and Market Trends of Whey protein ingredients market
- Arla food ingredients has developed a unique whey protein isolate called crystal clear beverages which are extremely appealing as a tasty and refreshing soft drink. It is a fat free drink with added health claims for bones and muscles. When applied in drink applications, can give a high protein content yet crystal clear.
- The recent trend influencing growth in market is use of whey protein in cancer preventing compounds. Lactoferrin, a protein in whey proteins helps in binding iron, reduce the formation of free radicals and thereby preventing the cell damage and reducing the risk of cancer.
- Arla food ingredients has developed an on trend whey protein iced-coffee concept that can make bone strengthening, muscle building. It’s a source of phosphorous and calcium through the inclusion of capolac milk minerals which helps maintain bone mass and muscles.
- War on sugar, carbohydrate energy is a consumer need in sports nutrition, this trend opens a new market for whey protein. The whey water which is naturally rich in lactose, becomes one attractive alternative to added sugars in water-based sports drinks. Whey permeate replaces electrolytes which contains a small amount of whey peptides which carry additional health benefits.
Who are the Major Players in Whey protein ingreditiens market?
The companies referred in the market research report includes Arla foods amba, Davisco foods international, Milk specialties Global, Glanbia PLC, Hilmar cheese company, Agropur, Fonterra cooperative group, Milk specialties, Westland milk, Agropur industries, Kerry group.
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.