Phenol Derivatives Market size is forecast to reach $18.7 billion by 2025, after growing at a CAGR of 5% during 2020-2025. The Phenol Derivatives Market is witnessing an increase its demand as they are widely used in household products, automotive metal coatings, rubber products and as an intermediates for industrial synthesis. Demand for phenol derivatives is increasing due to their unique properties such as flexibility, durability, spotless coating, chemical resistance, film toughness, improved adhesion and strong plasticizing effect. These characteristics of phenol derivatives is driving its demand in various end use industries such as automotive, electronics, textiles and packaging industries, which will increase the Phenol Derivatives Market substantially.
The report: “Phenol Derivatives Market – Forecast (2020-2025)”, by IndustryARC, covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the phenol derivatives industry.
By Process: Cumene Peroxidation Process, Rasching Process, Toluene Oxidation Process, Sulphonation Process, Phenyl Acetate Process, Cyclohexane Process, Cyclohexane Dehydration Process, Electrolytic Oxidation Process, and Others
By Raw Materials: Benzene, Propylene, and Toluene
By Derivatives: Bisphenol-A (Polycarbonates and Epoxy Resins), Phenolic Resin (Bakelite) (Novolacs and Resoles), Caprolactam (Nylon Fiber), Alkyl Phenols (Cresols, Xylenols, Octylphenols, Nonylphenols, and Others), Anisole, Phenolphthalein, Aminophenol, and Others
By Applications: (Chemical Industries, Automotive, Electrical and Electronics, Coating and Adhesives, Textile and Dye, Pharmaceutical Drugs, Household Appliances, Agricultural, and Others
By Geography: North America, South America, Europe, APAC, and ROW
- Asia-Pacific dominates the Phenol Derivatives Market, owing to the increasing demand of phenol derivatives from electronic and automotive sectors. According to OICA, the production of light commercial vehicles has increased by 10.2 % in 2018 in the APAC region. Therefore the increasing automotive production in the region is anticipated to drive the Phenol Derivatives Market in the region.
- Phenol derivatives are key raw material for engineered thermoplastics and carpeting as they are used in a variety of chemical processes as chain terminators, solvents, drying agents and intermediates. Thus, there is an increasing demand for phenol derivatives in the market.
- The growing use of phenol derivative to react with bromine, to form fire retardant tetrabromobisphenol A and to manufacture engineering thermoplastics such as polysulfones and polyarylates is driving the Phenol Derivatives Market.
- Excessive use of phenol derivatives causes breathing issues, fever, nausea, headache, vomiting, sever pain and redness around the mouth. These effects of phenol derivatives may act as a hindrance in the growth of Phenol Derivatives Market.
- Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic most of the countries has gone under lockdown, due to which operations of various industries such as automotive has been negatively affected, which is hampering the Phenol Derivatives Market growth.
By Derivative – Segment Analysis
The bisphenol-A derivative segment holds the largest share in the phenol derivative market in 2019, owing to its use in the production of polycarbonates and epoxy resins. Polycarbonates are extensively used in safety equipment, headlights, food & drink, tail lamps, compact discs, sports equipment, packaging such as water & baby bottles, impact-resistant and medical devices, whereas epoxy resins are used to coat metal products such as bottle tops, wind turbine blades, food cans, and water supply pipes. These factors are estimated to lead to rapid utilization of Bisphenol-A in the Phenol Derivatives Market during the forecast period.
By Applications – Segment Analysis
The automotive segments holds the largest share in the phenol derivative market in 2019 and is growing at a CAGR of 5.60%, owing to extensive use of Bakelite in electrical switches and automobiles due to its property of withstanding extreme conditions of heat and resistance to electricity and other chemicals. The intermediate produced during the polymerization-Novolac, is a resin and used as a binding agent or adhesive in many industries. Novolac is also used for protective coating purposes in automobiles. There is an increasing demand for phenol derivatives from the automobile sectors as they are used on a large scale for manufacturing automotive parts such as tail lamps, headlights, sunroofs, windows, brake linings, insulation foams and composites. The extensive use of phenol derivatives for automobile designing and manufacturing is anticipated to drive the Phenol Derivatives Market in the forecast period.
By Geography – Segment Analysis
Asia Pacific holds the largest share in the Phenol Derivatives Market in 2019 up to 32%, owing to factors such as duty rationalization for raw materials, tax incentives for R&D investments, and improved infrastructure in the region. In nations such as China, Japan and India there is a massive growth in industrialization due to population growth and rising per capita income of the individuals. There is an increasing demand for phenol derivative in the region as in these upcoming industries, phenol is used as a starting material to manufacture plastics, explosives such as picric acid, and drugs such as aspirin. Phenol derivatives are extensively used in various household products such as disinfectant in household cleaners, mouthwash, Plywood, window glazing, computers, automotive parts and accessories, and flat panel televisions, which is anticipated to drive the Phenol Derivatives Market in Asia Pacific region.
Drivers – Phenol Derivatives Market
Increasing Demand In End-Use Industries
For decades, chemicals have been attracting the interest of various end use industries, globally, and phenol is a widely used chemical, as an organic compound. The growing use of phenol derivatives in first surgical antiseptic and anesthesia created lucrative opportunities for the manufacturers of phenol derivatives. Phenols derivatives have wide applications in pharmaceutical industries as anesthetic and analgesic combinations to work in the painful and irritating areas. Phenols derivatives are also used to relieve pain caused by sore throat. The use of phenol derivatives are also increasing in the cosmetic industry for manufacturing sunscreens, skin lightening creams and hair coloring solutions. The demand for phenol derivatives are constantly increasing as they have huge applications in pharmaceutical and healthcare sector which acts as a driver.
Extensive Properties of Phenolic Resins
Phenolic resins are widely used in various applications including packaging coatings and the rubber industry as it provides extensive set of properties such as optimum balance of flexibility, durability, chemical resistance and film toughness. There is a growing demand of phenolic resins for metal packaging applications due to its characteristics such as mechanical strength and ability to blend with polymers. Phenolic resins / phenol formaldehyde resins are being extensively used in a variety of industrial products as they are durable, smooth and offer spotless coating. Phenolic resins are perfect for molded objects such as billiard balls and circuit boards or as phenolic coatings on cars and cans as they offer high heat resistance, high moldability and low toxicity of smoke. Thus, Surging demand of phenolic resins because of its properties is driving the Phenol Derivatives Market, which acts as a driver.
Challenges – Phenol Derivatives Market
Based on a recent safety assessment, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) no longer approves the use of phenol derivatives in baby bottles, sippy cups and baby formula packaging. Phenol derivatives can leach from beverage bottles and coated water pipes that can then be consumed by general population exposing them to breathe in vapors or have direct skin contact of phenol derivatives. Phenol derivatives cause skin irritation and rash in some people exposed dermally. There is concern that phenol derivatives affect the brain, behavior and prostate gland in fetuses, infants and children when exposed to levels in consumer products. All these factors may act as a restrain for the Phenol Derivatives Market growth.
Technology launches, acquisitions and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by players in the Phenol Derivatives Market. In 2019, the market of phenol derivatives has been consolidated by the top five players accounting for xx% of the share. Major players in the Phenol Derivatives Market are Compañía Española de Petróleos S.A.U., LG Chem, Honeywell International Inc., INEOS, Mitsui Chemicals, Inc., Allnex Belgium SA/NV, The DOW Chemical Company, QINGDAO Haiwan Chemical Co. Ltd., Royal Dutch Shell PLC, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation, Lotte Chemical and PTT Global Chemical Public Company Limited.
- In July, 2018 Allnex Belgium SA/NV raised the prices of all PHENODUR®-phenolic derivative, manufactured in the Wiesbaden (Germany), in order to equipoise the continued upsurges in raw material prices.
- In July, 2019 Lotte Chemical and GS Energy signed an agreement to invest $679 million in a new joint venture at Lotte petrochemical complex in Yosu. The C4 fractionation plant will commence its Bisphenol-A chain units in 2023.
- In November, 2019 QINGDAO Haiwan Chemical Co. Ltd. established a new phenol and acetone plant in the premises of Dongjiakou Industrial Zone, China. The new phenol and acetone plant uses KBR’s phenol and acetone technology.
1. Phenol Derivatives Market - Market Overview
1.1 Definitions and Scope
2. Phenol Derivatives Market - Executive Summary
2.1 Market Revenue, Market Size and Key Trends by Company
2.2 Key Trends by Process
2.3 Key Trends by Raw Materials
2.4 Key Trends by Derivatives
2.5 Key Trends by Application
2.6 Key Trends by Geography
3. Phenol Derivatives Market - Landscape
3.1 Comparative analysis
3.1.1 Market Share Analysis- Top Companies
3.1.2 Product Benchmarking- Top Companies
3.1.3 Top 5 Financials Analysis
3.1.4 Patent Analysis- Top Companies
3.1.5 Pricing Analysis
4. Phenol Derivatives Market - Startup companies Scenario Premium (Premium)
4.1 Top startup company Analysis by
4.1.3 Market Shares
4.1.4 Market Size and Application Analysis
4.1.5 Venture Capital and Funding Scenario
5. Phenol Derivatives Market – Industry Market Entry Scenario Premium (Premium)
5.1 Regulatory Framework Overview
5.2 New Business and Ease of Doing business index
5.3 Case studies of successful ventures
5.4 Customer Analysis - Top companies
6. Phenol Derivatives Market - Market Forces
6.1 Market Drivers
6.2 Market Constraints
6.3 Market Opportunities
6.4 Porters five force model
6.4.1 Bargaining power of suppliers
6.4.2 Bargaining powers of customers
6.4.3 Threat of new entrants
6.4.4 Rivalry among existing players
6.4.5 Threat of substitutes
7. Phenol Derivatives Market -Strategic analysis
7.1 Value chain analysis
7.2 Opportunities analysis
7.3 Market life cycle
7.4 Suppliers and distributors Analysis
8. Phenol Derivatives Market – By Process (Market Size -$Million, KT)
8.1 Cumene Peroxidation Process
8.2 Rasching Process
8.3 Toluene Oxidation Process
8.4 Sulphonation Process
8.5 Phenyl Acetate Process
8.6 Cyclohexane Process
8.7 Cyclohexane Dehydration Process
8.8 Electrolytic Oxidation Process
9. Phenol Derivatives Market – By Raw Materials (Market Size -$Million, KT)
10. Phenol Derivatives Market – By Derivatives (Market Size -$Million, KT)
10.2 Phenolic Resin (Bakelite)
10.3.1 Nylon Fiber
10.4 Alkyl Phenols
11. Phenol Derivatives Market – By Applications (Market Size -$Million, KT)
11.1 Chemical Industries
11.3 Electrical and Electronics
11.4 Coating and Adhesives
11.5 Textile and Dye
11.6 Pharmaceutical Drugs
11.7 Household Appliances
12. Phenol Derivatives Market - By Geography (Market Size -$Million / KT)
12.1 North America
12.2 South America
12.2.5 Rest of South America
12.3.9 Rest of Europe
12.4 Asia Pacific
12.4.4 South Korea
12.4.5 Australia & New Zealand
12.4.6 Rest of Asia Pacific
12.5.1 Middle East
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of South Africa
13. Phenol Derivatives Market - Entropy
13.1 New Product Launches
13.2 M&A’s, Collaborations, JVs and Partnerships
14. Market Share Analysis (Premium)
14.1 Market Share by Country- Top companies
14.2 Market Share by Region- Top companies
14.3 Market Share by type of Product / Product category- Top companies
14.4 Market Share at global level- Top companies
14.5 Best Practices for companies
15. Phenol Derivatives Market - List of Key Companies by Country (Premium)
16. Phenol Derivatives Market Company Analysis
16.1 Market Share, Company Revenue, Products, M&A, Developments
16.2 Company 1
16.3 Company 2
16.4 Company 3
16.5 Company 4
16.6 Company 5
16.7 Company 6
16.8 Company 7
16.9 Company 8
16.10 Company 9
16.11 Company 10 and more
"*Financials would be provided on a best efforts basis for private companies"