Presently, pea starch is popularly known as a substitute in the starch and food industries. The rise in the consumer demand for plant-based nutrition and peas nutrition is driving the growth of pea starch. On the other hand, the production of peas consumes less water and show resistance to drought conditions. They also decrease the need for nitrogen fertilizers as they take nitrogen gas from the atmosphere. Thus, farmers are preferring peas as an ideal option for crop rotation to gain profit on crop yields. Subsequently, this has resulted in the development of the pea legume as a front-runner to replace meat and dairy in the current scenario. Resistant starch is elevating as a popular food component because of its beneficial physiological effects and heat resistance during processing. As a result, the smooth pea starch is preferred by the food product manufacturers in the food field due to its high resistant starch content and slower digestion rate. The incorporation of pea starch in ethanol production coupled with the growing peas demand for convenience food are contributing to an increment in the production of a pea to satisfy the customer demand. Furthermore, the pea starch production houses have increased their focus in developing new product formulations to rise their pea starch market share, thereby aiding to the growth of the pea starch market size.
As a consequence, the Pea Starch Market size was evaluated at $91.58 million in 2018 and is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 8.07% throughout the forecast period 2019-2025, according to the global pea starch market report.
The report evaluates the pea starch market size based on grade, function, and application. Moreover, it provides a detailed analysis of prominent players and start-ups with their pea starch market share, globally.
The Eminence of Pea Starch Applications in the Food and Beverage Industry:
High-grade quality pea starch is widely used in numerous food products preparation majorly in confectionery, dairy, pasta, noodles, snacks, soups & sauces, meat, poultry, seafood, coating, potato products, and bakery products. Due to its properties such as binding & thickening agent, gelling, texture regulation for food and water-based products, and expansion regulating properties. Pea starch is highly embraced as a gelatin substitute for soups and desserts, clean labeling in the food industry, and as a raw material in the biodegradable packaging. The rich content of amylose starch content in peas to other starch sources is enhancing the thickening and gelling properties of pea starch and increased its use as an ingredient in the preparation of bread, soups, and snacks. Additionally, the rise in the acceptance of this starch in sports nutrition, protein shakes, gluten-free foods and vegetarian & vegan nutrition are increasing the prominence of pea starch and green pea’s protein in the food and beverage applications, thereby boosting the pea starch market revenue. On the other hand, pea starch offers high gel strength for different pH range and stronger resistance to crumbling. Growing requirement for natural ingredients such as pea starch, especially in soups and sauces as it is a viable source of thickeners in the food industry. Therefore, the application of peas starch in the food and beverage industry is set to grow at the fastest CAGR of 6.2% over the forecast period.
Trends in the Pea Starch Market:
· Gin Production: In July 2019, a research study has announced the application of pea starch to produce gin. Widespread use of legumes in the preparation of alcoholic beverages reduces greenhouse gas emissions. Hence, gin production using peas in the form of the butterfly pea flower is lowering the environmental footprints when compared to wheat. Furthermore, the spirits environmental impact of gin production is reduced through the use of by-products as animal feed, which in turn lowers the demand for imported soybeans, and also contributes to deforestation in Latin America. In addition to gin production, the prevalence of peas is scaling up to make vodka & beer, in the production of industrial bioethanol (biofuel), owing to its mitigation potential, especially in climate change and nutrient leakage.
· Gummy Supplement: At present pea starch is highly used in the preparation of gummy sweets as an alternative for gelatin and pectin. This starch improves the flavor of gummies.
Asia-Pacific Pea Starch Marketplace:
China and Japan are recognized as the top two importers of dextrins and other modified starches. These two countries held a share of 21.1% in world imports of these products. Moreover, these two eminent countries of APAC has experienced annual growth of 20% and 16% in dextrins and other modified starches import value respectively, during 2017-2018. The rapid growth in the APAC food & beverage industry along with the rise in the intake of noodles mainly across South Korea, Singapore, China, and Japan is fuelling the growth of pea starch in this region. This is because, pea starch is used as a raw material in the making of vermicelli, noodles, and other snack products. Besides, mainstream of plant-based diets, investments of pea starch manufacturers in the APAC region are raising the APAC pea starch market revenue. Hence, APAC has occupied a major share of 34% among other regions in the global pea starch market, as of 2018.
Major Players in the Pea Starch Market – Competitive Landscape:
Parrheim Foods, Shandong Jianyuan Group, Emsland Group, Cosucra Groupe Warcoing SA, Meelunie B.V., American Key Food Products, Vestkorn Milling AS, Roquette Frères S.A., Yantai Oriental Protein Tech Company, and The Scoular Company are the major players, which are involved in the global pea starch market. These players are implementing business strategies to mark their brand name as one among the pea starch top 10 companies, by increasing their market share for the same. For instance, some of the recent developments in the pea starch marketplace are listed as follows:
· In April 2019, Roquette Freres launched a new pea starch namely Beaute by Roquette ST 720. This novel pea starch product is a great film-forming agent, which provides a smooth, flexible, and long-lasting protection for skin and hair. Launch of innovative plant-based ingredients by this company are providing new products for the cosmetics market. Thus, this product innovation act as an add-on to the company’s share in the pea starch market.
· Companies such as Puris developed an innovative new vegan gelatine in 2018. This plant-derived alternative is made from pea starch and acting as a replacer to animal-derived gelatin and pectin in gummy sweets. In addition to this, pea starch is highly chosen to corn starches, as it doesn’t reduce the flavor in sweets instead it let the true flavor gummies shine. Later, Puris introduces pectin-free gummies, produced using pea starch, an alternative to “less-sustainable” starches which include corn and tapioca starch. Besides, there exists a continuous demand for pea starch as it is a replacer of more expensive gums, which are used in starting from ready-to-drink beverages to confectionery products.
· On 24th April 2019, Ingredion Incorporated announced a new plant-based addition namely PURITY P 1304 pea starch and expanded its pet food ingredients portfolio. This pea starch is ideal for producers who are focused to invent new formulations by replacing other starches. Additionally, this new product is helpful for pet food manufacturers to make grain-free and clean label products which satisfy the pet owners and pets. It also provides good texture and structure, and offers improved ingredient binding, thickening and gelling functionality for pet food applications. On the other hand, pea starch supports pet food processors to develop cost-effective products in sensory applications.
Talk to one of our sales representative about the full report by providing your details in the link below:
A. Modified Starch Market
B. Starch Derivatives Market
C. Corn Starch Market
Any other custom requirements can be discussed with our team, drop an e-mail to [email protected] to discuss more about our consulting services.
To request for a quote, provide your details in the below link:
Mr. Venkat Reddy
Email: [email protected]
Contact Sales: +1-614-588-8538 (Ext-101)
About IndustryARC: IndustryARC is a Research and Consulting Firm that publishes more than 500 reports annually, in various industries such as Agriculture, Automotive, Automation & Instrumentation, Chemicals and Materials, Energy and Power, Electronics, Food and Beverages, Information Technology, and Life sciences and Healthcare.