As per the findings of a new business publication by IndustryARC, the global semiconductor industry is disrupted by the GaN-on-Silicon technology and the future prospects are impressive. The report has evaluated the global semiconductor market to be worth between $420 billion to $430 billion, and projected the value to multiply as a notable compound annual growth rate (CAGR) between 10% and 12% during the forecast period of 2019 to 2025. The report is titled “
Semiconductor Market: By Type (Intrinsic Semiconductor, Extrinsic Semiconductor); By Components ( Seals, Filters, Mass flow Controllers, Valves, Others); By Instrument (Collection, Monitoring, Data Measurement, Others); By Subsystem (Robotics, Vacuum, Power Conversion, Others)); By Process (Water Production, Wafer Fabrication, Doping, Masking, Etching, Others); By Application (Networking &Telecommunication, Energy, Automotive, Computing, Consumer Electronics, Sports & Fitness, Others)& Geographic Analysis - Forecast (2019-2025)
Introduction to GaN (Gallium Nitride) Based Devices in Semiconductor Market
Power MOFSETs started appearing in 1976 as an alternative to bipolar transistors. Thus, switching power became way easier. GaN-on-Silicon technology emerged as a cost-effective alternative to the old traditional ways of power generation through MOSFETs and bipolar transistors. The demand for GaN-on-Silicon technology is constantly increasing due to the surge in demand for cost-effective power supply.
Semiconductor Marketplace witnessing Robust R&D Activities in GaN Technology
Recently, STMicroelectronics and Leti have jointly agreed to industrialize the GaN-on-Silicon technology for power switching devices. This will enable ST to address high efficiency and high power applications, including automotive onboard chargers for hybrid and electric vehicles, wireless charging, as well as servers. Transphorm targets to manufacture high voltage GaN-on-Silicon power devices with better power efficiency, which can be used in power supplies, inverters for solar panels, electric vehicles, and other such applications.
Applications of GaN-on-Silicon Technology in the Semiconductor Industry
- GaN-on-Silicon technology has a wide range of applications in defense, telecommunication, electronics, IT, and many other fields.
- Telecommunication: Large TV screens or smaller full color panels in trains and buses can be potentially made of GaN.
- Electronics: LEDs consume less power and are cost effective. Nitride-based semiconductors can be mixed with phosphor converters to produce white light. Gallium nitride-based lasers, which work at room temperature have quite long-lasting lifetimes.
- IT industry: CD, DVD, and opto-magnetic memories have a potential scope for GaN.
- Aerospace: GaN materials, when used as microwave amplifiers in wireless communication systems show greater transmitting power supply and efficiency. This indicates that few geostationary satellites can yield power equal to many low-earth satellites together.
Challenges for GaN-on-Silicon Technology in the Semiconductor market
- GaN is in headlines due to its outstanding features. It has surpassed other technologies such as GaAs and Si in terms of reliability and performance. Despite being such a promising future for semiconductor devices, it still has to face certain challenges, as mentioned below, to be accepted on a larger scale.
- It cannot replace the current devices completely, instead, it can complement them and achieve excellence in applications by providing high frequency, high power, switched-mode power supply.
- Since, this is a newly invented technology, not all power designers are familiar with the usage of GaN.
- GaN devices for sure have extravagant features, however, the major challenge is that the technology is still in the development stage.
Pioneering Players in Global Semiconductor Market
Companies such as Efficient Power Conversion Corporation, Wolfspeed, GaN Systems, Inc., Toshiba Corporation, N X P Semiconductors N.V., Transphorm Inc., Infineon Technologies AG, Qorvo Corporation, and others are making significant contributions in the field of GaN-based devices.
One of the most important key players in the technology is Cree Inc., which has currently declared that it has signed a multi-year silicon carbide wafer supply agreement with STMicroelectronics. Another important player in the field, NexGen, plans to produce GaN FETs using AIXTRON MOCVD technology.
With such promising features, GaN-on-Silicon technology has a larger scope for use in a wide range of applications. Presently, the technology is still in its infancy and lots of R&D is being carried out towards the advancement of this technology.
Talk to one of our sales representative about the full report by providing your details in the link below:
Semiconductor EDA & Design Tools Market
Silicon Carbide (SiC) Semiconductor Materials and Devices Market
Semiconductor Coolers Market
What can you expect from the report?
The semiconductor market is prepared with the main agenda to cover the following 20 points:
1. Market Size by Product Categories & Application 11. Demand Analysis (Revenue & Volume)
2. Market trends & Relevant Market Data 12. Country level Analysis
3. Manufacturer Landscape 13. Competitor Analysis
4. Distributor Landscape 14. Market Shares Analysis
5. Pricing Analysis 15. Value Chain Analysis
6. Top 10 End user Analysis 16. Supply Chain Analysis
7. Product Benchmarking 17. Strategic Analysis
8. Product Developments 18. Current & Future Market Landscape Analysis
9. Mergers & Acquisition Analysis 19. Opportunity Analysis
10. Patent Analysis 20. Revenue and Volume Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Does IndustryARC provide customized reports and charge additionally for limited customization?
Response: Yes, we can customize the report by extracting data from our database of reports and annual subscription databases. We can provide the following free customization:
1. Increase the level of data in application or end user industry.
2. Increase the number of countries in geography chapter.
3. Find out market shares for other smaller companies or companies which are of interest to you.
4. Company profiles can be requested based on your interest.
5. Patent analysis, pricing, product analysis, product benchmarking, value and supply chain analysis can be requested for a country or end use segment.
Any other custom requirements can be discussed with our team, drop an e-mail to [email protected]
to discuss more about our consulting services.
To request for a quote, provide your details in the below link:
Mr. Venkat Reddy
Contact Sales: +1-614-588-8538 (Ext-101)
About IndustryARC: IndustryARC is a Research and Consulting Firm that publishes more than 500 reports annually, in various industries such as Agriculture, Automotive, Automation & Instrumentation, Chemicals and Materials, Energy and Power, Electronics, Food and Beverages, Information Technology, and Life sciences and Healthcare.