Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR Market Overview
Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR market size is estimated to reach $8.7 billion by 2027. Furthermore, it is poised to grow at a CAGR of 8.2% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. Digital PCR has been a primary component in biological research, and more so in the detection of and quantification of nucleic acids. The dPCR technology is highly sensitive as compared to the traditional PCR methodology, which was only capable of what happened at the endpoint and was semi-quantitative. Since dPCR is based and built on traditional PCR and fluorescent probe PCR, the quantification amplifies without the need for standard curves. The amplification can be further substantiated to up to 20,000 droplets, which in turn can allow for ascertaining whether the droplets have a target sequence or not. If yes, the result comes out as positive, and if not, the result is negative. Additionally, when qPCR or Quantitative methodology is used, it adds two new elements to the traditional PCR, which are fluorometer and fluorescent dye. The qPCR technology has been of use in diagnosing genetic disorders as it can allow checking for mutations in the diseases such as cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, and various others. The increase in the incidence of target infectious diseases along with the technological developments happening within the sphere is some of the factors driving the digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR industry forward in the projected period of 2022-2027.
Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR Market Report Coverage
The report: “Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR Market Forecast (2022-2027)”, by Industry ARC covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR market.
By Product- Consumables & Reagents, Instruments,
and Software & Services.
By Application- Clinical, Research, Forensic, and Others.
By End User – Hospitals and Clinics, Diagnostic Centers, Contract Research Organization, Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies, Research Centers, and Others.
By Geography- North America (U.S., Canada, Mexico), Europe (Germany, United Kingdom (U.K.), France, Italy, Spain, Russia, and the Rest of Europe), Asia Pacific (China, Japan India, South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand, and Rest of Asia Pacific), South America (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia and Rest of South America), and Rest of the World (the Middle East, and Africa).
- Geographically, North America’s digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR markets held a dominant market share in the year 2021. It is owing to the presence of predominant manufacturers and companies’ heavy investments in research and development of highly effective assays especially pertaining to digital PCR. However, Asia-Pacific is set to offer lucrative growth opportunities in the projected period. It is owing to the development of various CROs and heavy deployment of funding by the government, to start activities such as genomic sequencing and the development of a robust medical infrastructure.
- The increase in the cases of targeted infectious diseases, such as the Covid-19 has acted as a key driver for the market. However, the high purchasing costs required to start operations related to dPCR have acted as a grave market challenge.
- A detailed analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats will be provided in the digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR market report.
Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR Market- Geography (%) for 2021.
For More Details on This Report - Request for Sample
Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR Market Segmentation Analysis- By Application
The digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR market based on the application can be further segmented into Clinical, Research, Forensic, and Others. The research segment held a dominant market share in the year 2021. It is owing to the push created by the pandemic. PCR technology has been widely adopted in terms of identifying the quality of vaccines and in terms of understanding the spike protein genetic code which is present on the surface of the Sars virus. Additionally, PCR was the only instrument that allowed the researchers to study the virus mutations by their characteristics to amplify DNA by up to 20,000 times.
Moreover, the research segment is estimated to be the fastest-growing, with a CAGR of 9.8% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. It is owing to the new diseases being regularly encountered. Additionally, as per GAVI, Lassa fever and other potential viruses have the potential to create a pandemic-like situation, so the researchers must be agile in preparing vaccines and other ancillaries. As per experts, the Lassa fever impacted around 100,000 to 300,000, with around 5,000 deaths.
Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR Market Segmentation Analysis- By End Users
The digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR market based on end-users can be further segmented into Hospitals and Clinics, Diagnostic Centers, Contract Research organizations, Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies, Research Centers, and Others. The pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies held a dominant market share in the year 2021. It is owing to the heavy deployment of funds towards the R&D department of various drug manufacturers to find a potential cure/ solution for the coronavirus. For example, Biogen’s R&D budget jumped by around 75% in 2020 as compared to 2019. Other Biogen, such trends were noticed. It can be extrapolated that companies overtly used the likes of PCR machines to advance in their research pertaining to sequence detection, gene expression, cell analysis, and others.
Moreover, CROs are estimated to be the fastest-growing, with a CAGR of 9.1% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. It is owing to the various benefits it offers over the formerly discussed. For example, companies are outsourcing their research activities as it offers cost savings in terms of initial capital deployment, labor charges, and various other miscellaneous reasons. Moreover, developing countries have a favorable trade outlook which allows for an easy flow of FDI, which will be yet another important feature for the growth of this segment.
Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR Market Segmentation Analysis- By Geography
The digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR market based on Geography can be further segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Rest of the World. North America’s digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR market held a dominant market share of 41% as compared to the other regions. It is owing to the region’s predominant position in actively allowing the developers to find new and potential technology to evolve lives and overall healthcare infrastructure. As per our analysis, more than 80% of the major players had an increased investment outlook for activities pertaining to research and development. For example, in Vertex Pharmaceuticals, roughly three out of five people work in research and development.
However, Asia-Pacific is set to grow at a lucrative pace in the projected period of 2022-2027. It is owing to the government’s favorable trade policies which are now readily allowing for FDIs to make a sizable contribution in the fields of research and development. It can be extrapolated that with the rising number of CROs, the sales and market share of digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR would grow at a substantial pace.
Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR Market Drivers
The prevalence of infectious diseases has helped the market to register steady growth and has acted as a significant driver
Infectious diseases have been a long part of human history. Examples such as HIV, tuberculosis, malaria, and hepatitis have been prevalent in human history. The analysis with the help of dPCR has proved effective results. Moreover, the eastern and southern African regions have an HIV prevalence of close to 6.7%, which roughly translates to 21 million people. With the advent of modern dPCR technologies, mutations within the HIV virus can be encountered, owing to which four in five cases of HIV are well aware of their disease, which has increased substantially. TB-PCR has also been a well-established methodology to understand the presence of mycobacterium (the disease-causing bacteria). Owing to high knowledge and modern technology, the early detection of diseases can now save more lives than before. Lastly, a government initiative that motivates people to get tested regularly has readily helped the growth of the market.
The capability to diagnose cancer cells has further helped the market growth
Localized or metastatic cancer was earlier not detected by the technologies available. However, PCR methods have shown high sensitivity to such tumor marker-expressing cells. The amplification of PCRs is heavily utilized while detecting cancer cells at their very beginning. As most of the prevalent methods rely on the heavy presence and volume of cancer cells, however, the RT-PCR or digital PCR has the capability to detect even the small traces of cancer cells when the cases are more durable. Moreover, studies have indicated the early detection in cases of detecting cancers pertaining to breast and prostate. Additionally, as per CDC and American Cancer Society, the risk of a woman developing breast cancer in her life is close to 13% or one in eight. The following factors would allow for the ready growth of the market.
Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR Market Challenges
The high device cost of advanced products has hampered the growth of the market
The cost for manufacturing or developing a new machine pertaining to the dPCR is significantly high, which in turn increases the cost for end products. For example, a state of the art, new technology dPCR machine can easily cost $120,000. Moreover, people have started to adopt the traditional PCR machines or even try to manage with other diagnostic applications, with low efficacy and high throughput. The end-users such as small labs, a start-up CRO, or even a small biotechnology company would want to lower their investments in depreciating assets, and hence they lease the machines. Moreover, leasers or the vendors are offering lucrative discounts, free service, and tax advantages which are allowing them to increase their market share and reduce the sales of the first party sale/ manufacturer sale. The following factor has been a market challenge.
Digital PCR (dPCR) and qPCR Industry Outlook
Product launches, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and geographical expansions are key strategies adopted by players in the analytical standard market. The top 10- analytical standard market companies are-
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Ltd.
- Abbott Laboratories
- Agilent Technologies
- Analytik Jena AG
- Becton Dikinson and Company
- bioMérieux SA
- Danaher Corporation
- In December 2021, Bio-Rad, the company has already put this cash position to use with their acquisition of Dropworks for roughly $125M in cash. Dropworks is developing a droplet-based digital PCR system that might deliver a more cost-effective solution to improve PCR workflow and help Bio-Rad penetrate the lower-end segment for their ddPCR platforms. By utilizing its cash position, Bio-Rad can continue to make similar deals and ensure future growth.
- In March 2021, Thermo Fischer launched “Applied Biosystem Quant Studio 5 Dx” real-time PCR or qPCR. The following is developed for clinical laboratories and assay developers. It simplifies the diagnostic for infectious diseases such as COVID-19 and helps in cases pertaining to oncology. The system is efficient to provide quantified results within 30 minutes and has up to six channels for multiplexing. The innovative product enables clinical laboratories and assay developers to meet testing demands and enhance their molecular diagnostics workflows.
- In September 2020, Cepheid received EUA from the FDA for its rapid molecular diagnostic kits, which can help in the detection of qualitative aspects of the flu viruses, and RSV infections, and lastly, help in diagnosing the Sars Covid-19 virus. The company believed that things would get complicated in the future, and hence, diagnosis for the right disease would be required. As mostly viral infections exhibit the same immune response. The following test would help in analyzing and treating patients with diverse requirements.
Report Code- HCR 0292
Report Code- HCR 0137
Report Code: HCR 0184
For more Lifesciences and Healthcare Market reports, please click here