Patient Handling Equipment Market Overview
Patient Handling Equipment Market size is estimated to reach $14.2 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 2.9% during the forecast period 2022-2027. Patient handling equipment includes assistive devices that enable patients to move between long-term care beds and chairs elsewhere in hospitals, nursing homes, ambulatory surgical centers, and other medical centers. Patient handling devices are intended to support patients with some mobility, however, who lack the ability to manage their body movements. The mechanical devices that are used for manual patient handling based on the assessment of patient needs are mainly based on safety for the caregiver, the patient, and rehabilitation goals. There are a variety of devices available like transfer sheets, which enable to minimize manual patient handling during lateral transfers and repositioning and help to increase patient comfort. Wheelchairs and mobility scooters provide a great way to get around for people with disabilities and those who wrestle to walk owing to age or additional mobility impairment.
The Patient Handling Equipment Industry growth rate is attributed to the rising geriatric population, high risk of injuries to caregivers during the manual handling of patients, and the introduction of regulations ensuring the protection of healthcare staff during manual lifting processes and is anticipated to create novel opportunities. The surging acceptance of patient handling equipment driven by the increasing disabled population across the globe is set to drive the Patient Handling Equipment Market. As per the World Health Organization (WHO), in 2019, around 15% of the world's population lives with a certain type of disability and 2% to 4% of them experience functioning difficulties. The soaring number of people with disabilities owing to the rapid spread of chronic diseases is set to propel the Patient Handling Equipment Market during the forecast period 2022-2027. This represents the Patient Handling Equipment Industry Outlook.
The report: “Patient Handling Equipment Market Forecast (2022-2027)”, by Industry ARC, covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the Patient Handling Equipment Market:
By Product Type: Wheelchairs
and Scooters (Manual Wheelchair (Folding Frame Manual Wheelchairs, Rigid Frame Manual Wheelchairs), Powered Wheelchair, Mobility Scooters), Medical Beds (Acute Care Beds, Long Term Care Beds, Bariatric Beds, Others), Mechanical Lifting & Transfer Equipment,
Ambulatory Aid Devices, Bathroom Safety Supplies and Others.
By Type of Care: Bariatric, Fall, Critical, Wound, Accessory, Lifting and Transfer.
By Application: Acute & Critical care, Long Term Care, Mobility Assistance, Fall Prevention and Others.
By End User: Hospitals, Home Care Settings and Others.
By Geography: North America (U.S, Canada and Mexico), Europe (Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain, Russia and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia & New Zealand, and Rest of Asia-Pacific), South America (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Rest of South America), and Rest Of The World (Middle East, Africa).
- Geographically, Europe Patient Handling Equipment Market accounted for the highest revenue share in 2021 and it is poised to dominate the market over the period 2022-2027 owing to the increasing occurrences of lifestyle diseases and soaring recovery cost from injuries advancing the application of equipment.
- Patient Handling Equipment Market growth is being driven by the expanding geriatric population profile of nearly all countries with the older population being responsible for a greater percentage of hospital admissions attributed to the soaring hazard of acquiring chronic and other ailments, thereby producing a greater requirement for patient handling equipment. However, the hindrance brought about by wheelchairs and other patient handling equipment is one of the major factors hampering the growth of the Patient Handling Equipment Market.
- Patient Handling Equipment Market Detailed Analysis on the Strength, Weakness, and Opportunities of the prominent players operating in the market will be provided in the Patient Handling Equipment Market report.
Patient Handling Equipment Market Share, By Geography (%) in 2021
For More Details on This Report - Request for Sample
Patient Handling Equipment Market Segment Analysis – By Product Type
The Patient Handling Equipment Market based on product type can be further segmented into Wheelchairs and Scooters, Medical Beds, Mechanical Lifting & Transfer Equipment, Ambulatory Aid Devices, Bathroom Safety Supplies, and Others. The Medical Beds Segment held the largest market share in 2021. This growth is owing to the increased penetration in hospitals, home care, nursing homes, emergency facilities, and long-term acute care centers for handling supplies. Long-term care means the system through which the Department offers an extensive series of social and health services to eligible adults who are aged, blind, or have disabilities for extended periods of time. Long-term care beds refer to nursing home beds, intermediate care beds, skilled nursing beds, nursing facility beds, and Alzheimer's nursing home beds. The soaring benefits of medical beds like enhanced comfort, minimized pressure points, aversion of pressure ulcers, decreased hazard of falls, minimized muscle strain and speedy recovery time are further propelling the growth of the Medical Beds segment.
Furthermore, the Patient Transfer Devices segment is estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR of 3.8% during the forecast period 2022-2027 owing to the increasing installation of ceiling lifts in hospitals and the growing adoption of patient lifts for bariatric patient handling, which leaves a positive impact on clinical decisions.
Patient Handling Equipment Market Segment Analysis – By End Use
The Patient Handling Equipment Market based on end use can be further segmented into Hospitals, Home Care Settings, and Others. The Hospitals segment held the largest market share in 2021. This growth is owing to the increased number of patients requiring critical care in hospitals along with advanced healthcare infrastructure. Technologically advanced patient handling equipment is provided by hospitals, including ICU beds, sling lifts, transfer chairs, slide boards, and more together with long-term care beds. The soaring demand for technologically advanced tools for patient handling is further propelling the growth of this segment.
Furthermore, the Home Care Settings segment is estimated to grow with the fastest CAGR of 3.2% during the forecast period 2022-2027 owing to the home care being a cost-effective alternative over the hospital stay and the availability of adequate trained staff for home care settings.
Patient Handling Equipment Market Segment Analysis – By Geography
The Patient Handling Equipment Market based on geography can be further segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and Rest of the World. Europe (Patient Handling Equipment Market) held the largest share with 38% of the overall market in 2021. The growth of this region is owing to the presence of a large number of healthcare facilities, trained professionals, and demand for better services coupled with supportive regulations for patient safety. Long-term care beds in hospitals are for patients needing long-term care owing to incessant impairments and a decreased degree of independence in actions of daily living, inclusive of palliative care. The increasing predominance of incessant and lifestyle-associated diseases and increasing demand for home healthcare are further propelling the growth of the Patient Handling Equipment Market in the European region.
Furthermore, the Asia-Pacific region is estimated to be the region with the fastest CAGR rate over the forecast period 2022-2027. This growth is owing to factors like the increasing incidence of MSD(Musculoskeletal Disorders)-caused injuries to caregivers, growth in the elderly population, healthcare infrastructure improvements, and the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases in the Asia-Pacific region. Numerous nations in the Asia-Pacific region have implemented policies for secure handling to avoid caregiver injuries while transferring and lifting patients. The overall expansion of economies in India, China, and Southeast Asia compelling key industry players to invest in this region is further fuelling the progress of the Patient Handling Equipment Market in the Asia-Pacific region.
Patient Handling Equipment Market - Drivers
Increasing Occurrences Of Disabilities Are Fuelling The Growth Of The Patient Handling Equipment Market:
Soaring Innovations In Patient Handling Equipment Are Propelling The Growth Of The Patient Handling Equipment Market:
Patient Handling Equipment Market - Challenges
Patient Handling Risks Are Hampering The Growth Of The Patient Handling Equipment Market:
Patient handling is the top cause of injury among care workers. As quoted on the website of the Center For Work Health And Safety, in comparison with nurses employed in hospitals, nurses employed in residential care settings recorded greater physical loads (32.2% vs 22.3%) and greater levels of disability (48.1% vs 44%) (Van der Heijden, Estryn-Béhar, & Heerkens, 2019). As per further updates on the Center For Work Health And Safety, the World Health Organisation (WHO) records that "musculoskeletal disorders are the leading contributor to disablement globally in all sectors (WHO, 2019) at an estimated cost in 2019 of $13.11 billion USD (Liberty Mutual, 2019)". Care workers who move people are at considerable hazard of sprains and strain injuries. Physically reliant people require to be evaluated, taking into account the task being carried out and the space in which the work will take place. The predominance of musculoskeletal injuries among nursing staff has been soaring owing to patient handling and movement. Globally, healthcare organizations are combining technological equipment into patient handling and movement to enhance security. Though proof demonstrates that secure patient handling programs decrease work-related musculoskeletal injuries in nursing staff, it is not clear how secure these novel programs are for patients. These issues are hampering the growth of the Patient Handling Equipment Market.
Patient Handling Equipment Industry Outlook:
Product launches, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and geographical expansions are key strategies adopted by players in the Patient Handling Equipment Market. Patient Handling Equipment top 10 companies are:
- Getinge Healthcare Company
- Stryker Corporation
- Invacare Corporation
- Hill Rom Services
- Joh. Stiegelmeyer & Co. GmbH
- L I N E T spol. s r.o.
- Joerns Healthcare
- HoverTech International
- Handicare Group
- In May 2021, Invacare declared the introduction of its novel InvaSoft Hybrid, a creative non-powered support surface featuring the latest and most progressive hybrid technology. InvaSoft Hybrid is the outcome of a three-year research and development project including expanded collaboration with tissue viability specialists. Its design particularly aims at the critical factors related to pressure injury management including pressure redistribution, reduction of shear and friction, and microclimate management.
- In October 2020, Stryker, introduced a completely wireless hospital bed, ProCuity. This intelligent bed was planned to assist in decreasing in-hospital patient falls at all acuity levels, enhance nurse workflow efficiencies and security, as well as assist in reducing hospital costs. It is the only bed on the market that can link seamlessly to nurse call systems without the application of cables or wires.
- In March 2020, Invacare Corporation declared the introduction of the novel benchmark in front-wheel-drive power mobility, the Invacare® AVIVA™ FX Power Wheelchair. Rehab-redefining LiNX® Technology persists to redefine the set-up process with novel and enhanced characteristics. From pre-set programming parameters, to live wireless programming, to integration with ASL specialty controls, LiNX Technology can prepare set-up as simple as turning on the LiNX remote.
Report Code: ESR 0090
Report Code: HCR 45318
Report Code: HCR 0177