Histone Methyltransferases Market Overview
The Histone Methyltransferases Market size is estimated to reach $456.7 million by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 5.3% during the forecast period 2023-2030. EZ, SET1, SET2, SMYD, SUV39, SUV4-20 and RIZ are recognized as 7 significant families of methyltransferases. Atypical modifications of histone methylation have been established to be connected with the advancement of numerous cancers, including lung cancer. It has been recorded that histone methyltransferase SETDB1 regulates liver cancer cell growth through the methylation of p53. EZH2, a histone 3 lysine 27 (H3K27) methyltransferase, is also principally overexpressed in breast cancers. The increasing predominance of cancer, including lung cancer, is set to drive the Histone Methyltransferases Market. The rising application of histone methyltransferases as a biomarker in cancer diagnosis is set to propel the growth of the Histone Methyltransferases Industry during the forecast period 2023-2030. This represents the Histone Methyltransferases Industry Outlook.
Histone Methyltransferases Market Report Coverage
The “Histone Methyltransferases Market Report - Forecast (2023-2030)” by IndustryARC, covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments in the Histone Methyltransferases Market.
- Geographically, North America (Histone Methyltransferases market share) accounted for the highest revenue share in 2022 and it is poised to dominate the market over the period 2023-2030 owing to enormous spending on R&D activities pertaining to cancer treatment including lung cancer in the North American region.
- The growth of the Histone Methyltransferases Market is being driven by the increasing pervasiveness of cancers, including breast cancer. However, in an IHC investigation of NSCLC, positive KMT6/EZH2 expression correlated with bigger tumor size, considerably shorter complete survival and poor prognosis are identified as one of the major factors hampering the growth of the Histone Methyltransferases Market.
- The Histone Methyltransferases Market Detailed Analysis of the Strengths, Weaknesses and Opportunities of the prominent players operating in the market would be provided in the Histone Methyltransferases Market report.
Histone Methyltransferases Market: Market Share (%) by Region, 2022
Histone Methyltransferases Market Segment Analysis – by Type
The Histone Methyltransferases Market based on type can be further segmented into EZ, SET1, SET2, SMYD, SUV39, SUV4-20 and RIZ. The SMYD Segment held the largest share of the Histone Methyltransferases market in 2022. This growth is because of SMYD3, a histone methyltransferase, which interacts with Hsp90 and whose activity is raised as a result of this interaction (Hamamoto et al., 2004). The expression of SMYD3 is high in CRC and in hepatocellular carcinomas where it demonstrates oncogenic characteristics (Hamamoto et al., 2004). The atypical SMYD2 expression and its dysfunction are often closely associated with numerous ailments. These are further propelling the growth of the SMYD segment. Furthermore, the SUV4-20 segment is estimated to grow at the fastest CAGR of 6.1% during the forecast period 2023-2030 owing to Suv (ar)4-20 being an enzyme that activates histone H4K20 demethylation (H4K20me2).
Histone Methyltransferases Market Segment Analysis - by Application
The Histone Methyltransferases Market based on the application can be further segmented into Lung Cancer, Liver Cancer, Breast Cancer and Others. The Breast Cancer Segment held the largest Histone Methyltransferases market share in 2022. This growth is fueled by the increasing predominance of breast cancer among women across the world. EZH2, a histone 3 lysine 27 (H3K27) methyltransferase, is considerably overexpressed in breast cancers. The recognized Histone Methyltransferases and their rising roles in breast cancer tumorigenesis are further propelling the growth of this segment.
Furthermore, the Lung Cancer segment is estimated to grow at the fastest CAGR of 6.8% during the forecast period 2023-2030 due to the rising cases of lung cancer brought about by atypical modifications of histone methylation connected with the advancement of lung cancer and the increased inclination towards smoking worldwide.
Histone Methyltransferases Market Segment Analysis - by Geography
The Histone Methyltransferases Market based on geography can be further segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America and the Rest of the World. North America (Histone Methyltransferases Market) dominated the Histone Methyltransferases market with a 37% share of the overall market in 2022. The growth of this region is driven by the increasing predominance of cancers including liver cancer in the North American region. The extensive expenditure pertaining to cancer treatment is further propelling the growth of the Histone Methyltransferases Industry, thereby contributing to the Histone Methyltransferases Industry Outlook, in the North American region.
Furthermore, the Asia-Pacific region is estimated to be the region with the fastest CAGR over the forecast period 2023-2030. This growth is owing to factors like increasing cases of cancer including lung cancer and liver cancer in the Asia-Pacific region. The rising awareness regarding cancer treatment is further fueling the progress of the Histone Methyltransferases Market in the Asia-Pacific region.
Histone Methyltransferases Market Drivers
Vital Significance of EZ, SET1, SET2, SMYD, SUV39, SUV4-20 and RIZ:
There are principally 7 significant families of methyltransferases recognized to date. These include EZ, SET1, SET2, SMYD, SUV39, SUV4-20 and RIZ as principal families and SET8/PR-SET7 and SET7/9 as additional families. Every family has a characteristic domain connected with the SET [Su(var)3-9, Enhancer-of-zeste, Trithorax] domain. Thirty rare SET domain-containing proteins belonging to the above-mentioned families and capable of histone methylation have been discovered through literature. Histone marks built by these enzymes can either activate transcription (H3K4me) or repress transcription (H3K27me, H2K9me). They serve a vital role in numerous cellular processes like DNA replication, cell cycle progression, cytokinesis, transcriptional regulation of Hox genes and tumor suppressor genes, DNA damage response, replication stress response, X chromosome inactivation and energy homeostasis. The vital significance of EZ, SET1, SET2, SMYD, SUV39, SUV4-20 and RIZ is therefore fueling the growth of the Histone Methyltransferases Market during the forecast period 2023-2030.
Emerging Applications of Histone Methyltransferases for Breast Cancer:
Triple-negative breast cancer accounts for nearly 15–20% of all breast cancer cases. Triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) is a heterogeneous ailment with a poor prognosis owing to the dearth of efficient targeted therapy. It has been discovered in investigations that histone lysine methyltransferase (KMT) nuclear receptor binding SET domain protein 2 (NSD2) is overexpressed in TNBC tumors. It is also discovered that its overexpression is connected with poor survival of TNBC patients. Histone methyltransferase NSD2 mediates the survival and invasion of triple-negative breast cancer cells by stimulating ADAM9-EGFR-AKT signaling. The outcomes of investigations recognize NSD2 as a significant epigenetic regulator in TNBC and supply a rationale for targeting NSD2 alone or in integration with EGFR inhibitors as a targeted therapy for TNBC. The emerging applications of histone methyltransferases for breast cancer are propelling the growth of the Histone Methyltransferases Industry, thereby contributing to the Histone Methyltransferases Industry Outlook during the forecast period 2023-2030.
Histone Methyltransferases Market Challenges
Histone Methyltransferases are Much Harder than Kinases from an Assay Development Perspective and have High Production Costs:
Histone Methyltransferases (HMTs) are proving to be much harder than kinases from an assay development perspective. They are typically very slow enzymes, with turnovers in the range of less than 1 min-1 in numerous cases. They are inclined to have low Km values for SAM (S-adenosylmethionine), numerous in the submicromolar range. These characteristics impose very high sensitivity requirements on assay techniques, demanding the detection of low nanomolar levels of the product under typical screening conditions. Furthermore, numerous HMTs function as complexes, with as many as three or four proteins needed for full activity, which leads to high production costs. These issues are thus hampering the growth of the Histone Methyltransferases Market.
Key Market Players
Novel solution/product launches, research initiatives, acquisitions, geographical expansions and technological advancements are key strategies adopted by players in the Histone Methyltransferases Market. The top 10 companies in the Histone Methyltransferases market are:
- Diagenode, a Hologic company
- Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.
- Cayman Chemical Company
- Boehringer Ingelheim group
- Bellbrook Labs
- Constellation Pharmaceuticals
- CELLCENTRIC LIMITED
- Sequenom, Inc.
- Ribomed Biotechnologies, Inc.
- In September 2021, Boehringer Ingelheim declared the acquisition of Abexxa Biologics Inc. The acquisition would permit Boehringer Ingelheim to access Abexxa’s expertise in targeting cancer-specific proteins. These proteins are situated within the cell, instead of those expressed on the cell membrane.
- In March 2021, Hologic gained molecular diagnostic assays and epigenetics products manufacturer Diagenode in a deal worth nearly $159m. The acquisition would extend Hologic’s diagnostic business across test menu, customer segments and geography. Diagenode provides greater than 30 CE-marked real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests for detecting bacteria, parasites and viruses connected to sexually transmitted infections, respiratory diseases, meningitis and gastroenteritis.
- In May 2020, Boehringer Ingelheim declared the acquisition of Northern Biologics Inc. By gaining this entity, which focuses on therapeutic antibodies targeting the tumor microenvironment, Boehringer Ingelheim is presently positioned at the front line of the stromal biology space. The seller would maintain the Northern Biologics name.
Report Code: HCR 0220
Report Code: HCR 0070
Report Code: AGR 85973
For more Lifesciences and Healthcare Market reports, please click here