Wound Care Sealants Market Overview
The Wound Care Sealants Market size is estimated to reach $28.7 billion by 2027. Furthermore, it is poised to grow at a CAGR of 2.9% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. Wound management has been a growing concern globally, which allows for healthy market growth. Sealants have been growing worldwide, fibrin sealants and thrombin sealants are some of the common forms of materials that are actively used in wound care. Additionally, alginate dressings are some of the forms of seaweed dates, when used to dress a wound that is exuding heavily, the calcium ions in the dressing interact with the sodium ions in the fluid of the wound. Furthermore, tissue adhesives are a growing reason for market growth. Liquid monomers undergo an exothermic reaction upon exposure to a moist surface (skin), changing to a polymer that forms a strong tissue bond- which allows for the use of tissue adhesives. A rapid increase in the biodegradable material will help the overall market development along with an increase in cases of trauma and accidents would allow the Wound Care Sealants Industry forward in the projected period of 2022-2027.
Wound Care Sealants Market Report Coverage
The report: “Wound Care Sealants Market Forecast (2022-2027)”, by Industry ARC covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the Wound Care Sealants Market.
- Geographically, North America’s wound care sealants market held a dominant market share in the year 2021. It is owing to the robust medical infrastructure and reimbursement scenarios within the countries like the US, which allows for better usage of such a market. However, Asia-Pacific is expected to offer lucrative opportunities to the marketers in the projected period of 2022-2027 owing to increasing medical expenditure by the countries like China and India.
- A rapid increase in the biodegradable material will help the overall market development along with an increase in cases of trauma and accidents would allow the market to take a grip. However, the intensive requirement for wound care to launch a new product has hampered the overall market growth.
- A detailed analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats will be provided in the Wound care Sealants Market Report.
The wound care sealants market based on Application can be further segmented into chronic wounds and acute wounds. Acute wounds held a dominant market share in the year 2021. Acute wounds hold two categories including Surgical & Traumatic Wounds and Burn Wounds. Each year within the US, 1.1 million burn injuries require medical attention. Furthermore, as per WHO, 180,000 deaths annually occur due to burning injuries. Further, surgical wounds have been growing owing to the higher geriatric population case-load.
However, chronic wounds are estimated to be the fastest-growing, with a CAGR of 3.5% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. Diabetic foot ulcers are the forefront sub-segment leader owing to the higher case-load of diabetes throughout the world. As per WHO, around 490 million people live with diabetes in 2020. Additionally, other forms of illnesses are growing which would lead to the segment growth.
Wound Care Sealants Market Segmentation Analysis- By End-User
The wound care sealants market can be further segmented into hospitals, specialty clinics, and home healthcare. Hospitals held a dominant market share in the year 2021. Cases of wounds are often treated within outpatient facilities or ERs. As per CDC reports, around 300,000 patients a year are hospitalized because of any form of fall injury- which needs surgical and wound care. Furthermore, people can get medi-claim benefits which allow them to great treated at no out-of-pocket cost. Patients who have suffered burn injuries need prolonged hospital stays and need constant care.
However, the home-healthcare segment is estimated to be the fastest-growing, with a CAGR of 3.8% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. NPWT systems are some of the common reasons for the growth of home healthcare. These devices are lightweight, portable, canister-free, and easy to use. In addition, the cost-effectiveness of such therapy encourages patients to adopt homecare settings over hospital stays, thereby supporting segment growth.
Wound Care Sealants Market Segmentation Analysis- By Geography
The wound care market on Geography can be further segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Rest of the World. North America held a dominant market share of 35% over its other counterparts in 2021. Sports injuries-road accidents-robust medical infrastructure is some of the reasons for the strong market hold. 30 million children and teens participate in some form of sports within the USA. Further, around 3.5 million injuries are sustained each year in the states which propels the use of Wound Care.
However, Asia-Pacific is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities to marketers in the projected period of 2022-2027. It is owing to a high caseload of various forms of wounds. For example, as per the ASDI-2019 report, 11,037 fire accidents are reported each within India in 2019. Additionally, diabetes takes a massive toll within the region, which would allow for better growth in wound care.
Wound Care Sealants Market Drivers
A systemic increase in the cases of falls owing to the rising geriatric population has been a key driver for the market.
The geriatric population has been growing around the globe. The following fact has two opportune facts, first, global medical infrastructure has been following a robust growth trajectory which is supplemented by government initiatives. Secondly, a higher proportion of older people would need better medical care owing to the high disease load. Out of various ailments, fall has been a common condition that has been medically proven to be prevalent in older people. The risk of falling increases with age for many reasons, including overall weakness and frailty, balance problems, cognitive problems, vision problems, medications, acute illness, and other environmental hazards. Within the U.S., more than one out of four older people suffer fall injuries, however, only half of them report to their respective doctors. As per CDC, around 3 million older people in the U.S. get treated in the emergency departments. Similarly, osteoporosis has been highly prevalent in the western regions, which makes the bones weak and brittle, so weak that simple coughing can cause a fracture. Around 240,000-300,000 Norwegians have been diagnosed with osteoporosis, which makes it the country of falls.
Owing to higher road accidents and trauma injuries the market for wound care would be highly needed.
Road accidents are highly prevalent in the majority of the countries. A fact which ascertains that road accidents would only increase is owing to rising sales numbers of automobile manufacturers. Further, the EV segment is taking the market by bloom. However, one fact remains constant, the human nature that propels them to commit incidents such as rash driving, over-speeding, and other numerous road malignancies. As per the data shared by US Transport Department, in the year 2019- the fatal car crash amounted to 33,244 who needed immediate surgery and care, and the numbers are 11% higher than in 2013. Similarly, the surgery requirement post-crash is highly prevalent in low- and middle-income countries such as India. India accounted for 4,51,361 which is 4% higher than in 2014 who suffered injuries and wounds and needed immediate medical help or surgery to close the wounds.
Wound Care Sealants Market Challenges
The intensive requirement for wound care to launch a new product has hampered the overall market growth.
Materials that have been actively used to treat wound care have been facing heat by the sufferers. Some of the common concerns for using natural compounds such as fibrin is that the overall adhesive strengths are low but are well-accepted by the body. Some of the other compounds such as Cyanoacrylate have higher amounts of adhesive strengths, but their biodegradability lies on the lower end and various studies have also evaluated that they release toxic byproducts while degrading within the body, which can cause harm to various organs of the body. About 5% of the population can become sensitized to cyanoacrylate fumes after repeated exposure, resulting in flu-like symptoms. Cyanoacrylate may also be a skin irritant, causing an allergic skin reaction. The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) assigns a threshold limit value exposure limit of 200 parts per billion. On rare occasions, inhalation may trigger asthma. To sum up the entire paragraph, it can be said that the market has not got a product that would tick mark all the boxes. Some of the common tick boxes are high mechanical properties, cost-effective, and highly elastic along with biocompatibility and controlled biodegradability.
Wound Care Sealants Industry Outlook
Product launches, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and geographical expansions are key strategies adopted by players in the Wound Care Sealants Market. Wound Care Sealants Market key companies are-
- Baxter International Inc.,
- B. Braun Melsungen AG,
- Cohera Medical, Inc.,
- CryoLife Inc.,
- C.R. Bard Inc.,
- CSL Limited (CSL Behring),
- Johnson & Johnson (Ethicon, Inc.),
- Ocular Therapeutic Inc.,
- Sealantis Ltd.
- In December 2021, BD acquired surgical sealants firm developer Tissuemed. The acquisition will add the Tissuemed surgical sealant to BD’s suite of biosurgery products. Tissuemed’s sealant technology, Tissuepatch, binds to tissues to prevent leaks from surgical incisions and can be used to control internal bleeding. With a thin, flexible and transparent composition, the technology helps clinicians to seal sutured or stapled tissues against leakage of air, blood, and other fluids, including cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), after surgical procedures.
- In November 2021, Arch Therapeutics have presented AC5 ® Advanced Wound System. The said product has been launched during innovation Spotlight at the 2021 Symposium on Advanced Wound Care. Key points of note included the clinical advantages of the AC5® technology platform and the potential for the AC5® Advanced Wound System to support optimal debridement and manage the challenges associated with biofilm-infected wounds. AC5® Advanced Wound System contains a unique self-assembling technology that offers a different mode of action. It builds a barrier and a scaffold on host tissue, complements other therapies, and is an experience, that can improve wound healing outcomes.
- In February 2020, Baxter International Inc. has completed its previously announced acquisition of Seprafilm Adhesion Barrier and related assets from Sanofi for $350 million.
Report Code- CMR 0138
Report Code- HCR 0578
Report Code: HCR 0035
For more Lifesciences and Healthcare Market reports, please click here