Milk Protein Market Overview
The Milk Protein Market size is estimated to reach $5.8 billion by 2027 and is poised to grow at a CAGR of 5.8% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. Milk has always been considered an excellent source of protein, which roughly translates to having 8 grams in a cup or around 1 gram of protein per every ounce intake. Interestingly, all the varieties of milk available such as fat-free, low-fat, lactose-free, and even whole milk provide the necessary amino acids, which in turn are high-quality in nature. Furthermore, milk contains two forms of proteins. Firstly, Whey Protein Isolates or whey protein has been considered as a fast form of protein which in turn gets digested extremely fast, thereby releasing the required amino acids into the muscle more quickly. A second common form of milk protein is Casein & Caseinates. The following form of proteins should be taken before going to bed, as it helps in repairing and rebuilding muscles. Additionally, the said form is released slowly, hence the body parts absorb it slowly as well, thereby cannot be taken for instant muscle action. Lastly, Milk Protein Concentrate is a third branch, which contains both whey and casein. The trending inclination towards consuming healthy products, such as milk protein along with a vast array of product launches and innovations have been identified as the key drivers for the Milk Protein Industry in the projected period of 2022-2027.
The report: “Milk Protein Market Forecast (2022-2027)", by Industry ARC covers an in-depth analysis of the following segments of the Milk Protein Market.
By Form - Liquid Form and Dry Form.
By Type - Milk Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein hydrolysates, Casein and Caseinates, Whey Protein Concentrates, Whey Protein Isolates, and Others.
By Application- Sports and Nutrition, Dairy Products, Infant Formula, Dietary Supplements, Food and Beverages, Others.
By Distribution Channel- Online and Offline.
By Geography- North America (U.S., Canada, Mexico), Europe (Germany, United Kingdom (U.K.), France, Italy, Spain, Russia, and Rest of Europe), Asia Pacific (China, Japan India, South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand, and Rest of Asia Pacific), South America (Brazil, Argentina, and Rest of South America), and Rest of the World (the Middle East, and Africa).
- Geographically, Europe's Milk Protein Market held a dominant market share in the year 2021. It is owing to the wide use of applications of milk protein which has made it easy access or an alternative for sub-age groups. However, Asia-Pacific is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities to the marketers in the projected period of 2022-2027 owing to the rising adaption of milk protein in infant formulas and the urbanization trends which will allow the women to work and have their babies needs to be fulfilled.
- The cross-applicative use of milk protein has been a key market driver. However, lactose intolerance and other ill-practices pertaining to the obtaining of such products have impeded market growth.
- A detailed analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats will be provided in the Milk Protein Market Report.
Milk Protein Market Share, By Distribution Channel, 2021(%)
Milk Protein Market Segmentation Analysis - By Application
The milk protein market based on the application can be further segmented into Sports and Nutrition, Dairy Products, Infant Formula, Dietary Supplements, Food and Beverages, Others. Infant nutrition held a dominant market share in 2021. It is owing to the huge demand being seen in the said segment owing to the increased female working population and urbanization, which propels the mothers to pursue jobs while not compromising on their toddler’s nutrition. Countries such as Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have a proportion of 30.5% and 33.7 as working women in 2020.
However, the Sports and Nutrition segment is estimated to be the fastest-growing, with a CAGR of 6.4% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. It is owing to the predominant product launches seen within the said category. Additionally, social media advent has allowed people to feel motivated to make themselves physically more attractive, thereby the population has started intaking whey protein and other milk protein for gaining muscle mass and shape. Owing to such factor(s), the said segment would register steadfast growth.
Milk Protein Market Segmentation Analysis - By Distribution Channel
The milk protein market based on distribution channels can be further segmented offline and online. Offline held a dominant market share in the year 2021. It is owing to the buying preference of food and beverages including dairy and bakery products from the retail stores. Additionally, the milk protein can be used in both dry and liquid form, which makes it easy to incorporate in various ready-to-eat meals and mixes.
However, the online segment is estimated to be the fastest-growing, with a CAGR of 6.6% over the forecast period of 2022-2027. It is owing to the presence of a wide variety of products combined with nominal cost. Additionally, the manufacturers have now sided to reduce the distribution channel bandwidth, which allows offering the said product at a cheaper cost. For example, MY PROTEIN offers their “Impact Whey Protein” at INR 3999, against the MRP of INR 4299. Moreover, customers would be entailed to get free gifts up to INR 1200, which further propels them to make a decision.
Milk Protein Market Segmentation Analysis - By Geography
The milk protein market based on geography can be further segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Rest of the World. Europe held a dominant market share of 38% as compared to its counterparts in 2021. It is owing to the presence of key players operating in the said market. Moreover, Germany produces close to 33 billion kilograms of milk. Furthermore, whey as a product has been seeing increased exports, primarily owing to the likes of France, Italy, Netherlands, and others.
However, Asia-Pacific is estimated to offer lucrative growth opportunities to marketers in the projected period of 2022-2027. Predominantly China and India have seen incremental imports of products pertaining to new product launches. For example, China has doubled its imports in the product category of whey. Furthermore, favorable government policies supplemented by new product launches would aid the growth.
Milk Protein Market Drivers
The cross-applicative use of milk protein has been a key market driver
Milk protein has had a long range of applications, such as being widely used in making infant formula products to being widely adopted in the sports and nutrition segment. The cross applicative use of the discussed industry has driven the market manifolds. Infant formulas predominantly are made from cow milk, containing the required set of proteins required. Moreover, sports nutritionist recommends milk protein owing to its excellent amino acid profile. In instances of strength, training evidence has suggested that muscle mass and strength can be significantly improved. Whey protein has also rendered properties that show its use in helping people gain weight post malnutrition pertaining to HIV/AIDS. As per WHO, an estimated 38 million cases lives are affected by HIV, and the use of WHEY protein can significantly help the afflicted. Furthermore, food and beverages along with other dairy products extensively use milk protein.
The medicinal benefits of milk protein for exhibiting anti-cancer attributes have been an additional driver
The cell cultures show that whey protein has exhibited anti-carcinogen activities in both animal and cell cultures. It is owing to the presence of sulfur amino acid cysteine, a substrate that gets combined with glutamate to form glutamylcysteine. The cancers on which the use of whey has shown positive effects are colon cancer, breast cancer, and prostate cancer. It has been indicated that whey proteins such as LA, LG, LF, LP, and Igs possess anticarcinogenic activity. In the U.S., the lifetime risk for developing colorectal cancer is 4.3% in men while 4% in women. Additionally, the said cancer is the third probable cause of death, within the category of cancers. Moreover, the chances of developing breast cancer in the United States is close to 13%, further, the incidence has increased by around 0.5%.
Milk Protein Market Challenges
A rise in the cases of lactose intolerance and a substantial uprising of plant-based protein has impeded the market growth
US FDA has supported the use of soy milk as an alternative to milk protein for infant nutrition in the case where parents do not wish their kid to intake animal protein. Additionally, lactose-free formulas as a category have been a growth impeder. As per various experts, 68% of the entire world population has problems in absorbing lactose, further, the incidences are extremely high in East-Asian countries. Secondly, the emergence of plant-based milk has compelled the innovators to incorporate the said protein into protein powders, and have started using the label claims, such as “organic” or “sustainably obtained product.”
Milk Protein Industry Outlook
Product launches, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and geographical expansions are key strategies adopted by players in this market. Milk Protein top 10 companies include
- Kerry Group
- AMCO Proteins
- My Protein
- Havero Hoogwegt Group
- Group Lactalis
- Arla Foods
- Saputo Inc
- Theo Muller Group
- Fontera Co-operative Group.
- In August 2021, California-based Perfect Day is now making using fungi to create identical cow milk. The process depends on introducing genes that code cow’s milk into fungi. Further, when the fermentation takes place producing whey protein, which is then filtered and dried into a powder used in products including cheese and ice cream. The following products are already available on the shelves of the U.S and Hong Kong. The product is vegan-friendly, but people with lactose intolerance should not take the said product.
- In June 2021, Arla Food Ingredients launched a new whey protein hydrolysate ingredient which helps in overcoming the taste challenges. The said ingredient is commonly used in medical nutrition products for people with conditions that impair their ability to digest or absorb protein. However, they commonly have a bitter taste not found in intact whey protein, which can affect nutritional compliance, increasing the risk of malnourishment.
- In June 2021, the U.S. Dairy Export council applauded the product innovations happening within the segment of milk protein. As per their analysis, close to 9500 products were launched worldwide in 2020, and more importantly, outpaced the plant proteins. The difference of 3000 products was observed, as around 18000 dairy protein products were launched, while only 15000 plant-based protein products were launched. Further, the council remains optimistic about the favorable market for future launches.
Milk Protein Concentrate Market- Forecast (2022-2027)
Report Code- FBR 0054
Milk Protein Isolate Market- Forecast (2022-2027)
Report Code- FBR 0480
For more Food and Beverage Market related reports, please click here